Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 gearknob in a Mk1 fit?

xpeterpx

Hi all

Saying Hi with a question please

Will a Mk2 gear knob fit a mk1 without any or much modification?

Thank you and look forward to speaking to some of you soon

Pete

Whether it fits or not depends on the type of gearbox. On the focus MK1/MK1.5 with IB5 gearbox (without locking mechanism for reverse) the gearknob have a M10 threading while the MTX 75 gearbox (with locking mechanism for reverse) the gearknob have a M12 threading.

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 and MK3/MK3.5 all types of gearboxes have a gearknob with a M12 threading.

A M12 threaded gearknob can easily be converted to a M10 threaded gearknob by installing a helicoil or threaded insert.

Thank you guys for your help. Not sure on the gearbox type just a 2004 Edge that finds reverse by press down : the 'locking' thing you mention is that where you lift a collar under the gearknob to select the reverse? If so i dont have that.

Thank you

The 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 Petrol versions of the Focus MK1/MK1.5 have the IB5 gearbox.

The 2.0 Petrol and all Diesel version of the Focus MK1/MK1.5 have the MTX75 gearbox.

Ok thanks

Has anyone done this on a mk1 who can point me in the direction of the m10 to m12 thread converter please?

Appreciate the help on this

Converting a M12 threaded MK2/MK3 gear knob to M10 thread is pretty easy. Back in the days when I owned a focus MK1 myself I converted several of these gear knobs.

Personally I prefer to use a self tapping threaded insert.

stinsertsproduct.jpg

These are generally used to repair damaged threading and can easily be found online, at a local hardware store or at a decent garage. The Focus MK2/MK3 gear knobs are made of plastic which makes it very easy to drill the hole to the correct size and install the insert.

Note that it is important to find the correct type of gear knob. You need a MK2/MK3 gear knob without the reverse locking/lifting mechanism.

• Like 1

Just use a universal aftermarket one, they come with various sized adaptor collars.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club