Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mini 0806 and Transcend DrivePro 200 reviews

GaryPL

Don't bother with any of the Mini range. I had the 0806 and it was bug ridden. Wouldn't record on the memory cards in tandem because it only recognised one. The filter you put over the lens drops off when you go over a bump. The GPS keeps dropping out. And after a few months, it started playing up and eventually died.

A quick search online revealed I'm not alone in my experiences if this dash cam.

There are a couple of plus points. The camera is very discreet. The field of view adjustment is great, save for the sticky mount, so make sure you get that bit right because you have to saw it off with dental floss. The video quality is pretty good.

But all of this is irrelevant when the device doesn't work and it's unreliable. I certainly wouldn't try and get a discount on your insurance when you have the 0806 as you can bet your mortgage on it letting you down at the key moment.

Most of the sellers are also based in Asia. Not necessarily a problem as the prices are cheaper. But you're in for some expensive shipping costs if you want to get it replaced or repaired under the warranty.

Have you replaced it with another discrete camera then?  I had an 0801 which is the ideal size but rarely works, didn't last long, I assumed the newer ones would be better!  Can't stand anything in my view on the screen though so need something else a similar size (and fairly cheap!) if you can recommend one?

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything similarly discreet. I went with the Transcend DrivePro 200 which is a well regarded unit, but it's also on the larger and indiscreet side. It has a chrome ring around the lens. But this can be hidden with a strip of electrical tape.

That said, I have hidden mine behind the rear view mirror and don't even notice it.

The main advantages of the 200 are WiFi which although a little slow is not that bad. And it has no battery - only a transistor. Means you can leave it in the car without the heat and cold ruining it. It also came with a suction cup which is so handy. The power cable is long enough for most too.

Also, it comes with a memory card and the recording quality is great. It's literally ready to go straight out of the box. The memory card will do a couple of hours before it rewrites itself. Longer if you turn off the microphone.

Has no GPS so it can't record speed or location. But I'd always advise switching speed off and location adds nothing at all. As long as it shows the crash and the vehicle that did it, it doesn't matter whether there's a map on the video.