Do Not Sell My Personal Information

URGENT - Possible turbo failure?

CoreyTitanium06

Hi there, I currently have a 2006 Ford Focus Titanium 2.0 TDCI 136hp (I believe). However, I was driving along minding my own business when I witnessed a sudden excessive loss in power. There was also a whistling coming from the engine somewhere? Also, whilst in first and second gear there's a large amount of jerking up until 3rd gear, thus resulting in me revving it slightly more to get into a higher gear. I am worried as its my fathers car and he's going to kill me, even though I've stressed for years that the turbo is pants and never been 100% responsive. I would just like to know could this just be from a crack in the Intercooler pipe or could the turbo actually have knackered on me?

Sorry for the essay & thanks for reading.

In my opinion these symptoms suggest a split hose or pipe. You should first check the complete system (all hoses, pipes, etc.) thoroughly for air leaks. If there are no air leaks you can visually check the turbocharger for damaged vanes and/or excessive play.

9 hours ago, JW1982 said:

In my opinion these symptoms suggest a split hose or pipe. You should first check the complete system (all hoses, pipes, etc.) thoroughly for air leaks. If there are no air leaks you can visually check the turbocharger for damaged vanes and/or excessive play.

Thanks for this. I have found a slight crack in the pipe. It's in the most awkward place also. Will the car produce black smoke also on harsh revs?

yeah, lack of air will make it burn rich leaving unburnt diesel in the exhaust and produce black smoke

On 31 July 2016 at 6:02 PM, Dee_82 said:

yeah, lack of air will make it burn rich leaving unburnt diesel in the exhaust and produce black smoke

Thank you ever so much! Cars booked in now with my mechanic. Let us pray haha. Thank you for your replies and help. It is much appreciated!