Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus rear brake conversion

stef123

hi all,

if anyone is interested in converting their rear drum brakes to discs then watch this space. next weekend i plan on doing the conversion so i will have plenty of pics and details posted. this can be done to any focus between 98-04 with or without abs.

parts required:-

2 x stub axles/hubs

2 x calipers

2 x dust shields

2 x 440/450mm brake hoses

1 x 1.8/2.0L hand brake cable assembly

discs and pads

i am still awaiting a caliper but should have it on monday. ive painted the caliper/carrier that i have but im not so sure about it, it coulda done with being shot blast of something first.

post-3200-1258120928_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258120941_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258120967_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258120987_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258121006_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258121025_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258121049_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258121070_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258208367_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258208383_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258208398_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Should be a interesting thread, and thanks for the effort to pass your findings on. I've a 55 plate MK2 mind.

I bet the wife loves sharing the kitchen worktop with you, or are you posh and have a utility smile.gif

Should be a interesting thread, and thanks for the effort to pass your findings on. I've a 55 plate MK2 mind.

I bet the wife loves sharing the kitchen worktop with you, or are you posh and have a utility smile.gif

well i done the brake conversion yesterday and to be absolutely honest it was very simple and went without a single problem, took around 3.5 hours. i didnt get the chance to take any pics as i was against the weather, i had just put the centre caps back on the alloys when it started to p1ss down very heavy!! so far ive done 180 miles and the brakes feel ok, brake balance seems ok although i am going to have this tested. i dont have abs on my car so i was worried about the rears locking but i left the pressure conscious valves in place and i cant get the rears to lock at all!! next thing is a set of drilled and grooved discs to match the front and a full set of braided hoses to set it all off.

i will in the next few days however make a report on how its done and if anyone has any questions about how to do it they can fire away :)

it is the kitchen worktop indeed, shhh she doesnt know about it :P the caliper that ive pictured above is now a spare one as i picked another 2 up but they are excellent condition compared to it. so ive now got 2 spare hubs and 2 spare calipers/carriers

post-3200-1258916295_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258916318_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1258916851_thumb.jpg

Great manual. Can you please advice cost of this modification?

Can it be added as a sticky or moved to "How to" section?

Great manual. Can you please advice cost of this modification?

Can it be added as a sticky or moved to "How to" section?

i have yet to finish the 'how to' but i dare say when i do it can be added as a sticky or to the 'how to' section.

I spent more than i should have and never really thought it out to well but i will break the costs down:-

Handbrake cable assembly £30

450mm brake hoses £10 (optional braided hoses £60)

Pads and discs £50 (optional grooved and drilled discs with pads £80)

Calipers, hubs/stub axles and dustshields £100

complete axle £150

to begin with i bought a complete axle for £150 as i thought it would have everything i needed but the %$*£& that i bought it from nicked one of the calipers so i had to go buy another caliper. if you can source all the parts for under £200 then i would say your doing well.

cheers

stef

• 1 month later...

well ive still not made up a how to on this yet but i will see what i can do in the very near future, for now though ive got a couple of pics to post up.

PC200023.jpg

PC200021.jpg