Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Focus 1.8 TDCi 115, siren/whine sound, suspect from Turbo

johnson293

Have a problem that's just become audible since Friday/Saturday gone. 

My 2009 Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 has developed a whine/siren like noise (also  bit like a vaccum cleaner) when driving/revving the engine. Begins at roughly 1100revs up and beyond 2000, in the range that the Turbo would be spooling. Take foot off the throttle and it dies down. This happens at cold start and when the engine is warm. Few months ago, had the top intercooler pipe split which produced the 'whooshing' noise behind the dash, and replaced that pipe.

There appears to be no other hose splits (that are visible) and no obvious oil spray anywhere. Took it to a local garage this morning, who said Turbo vanes/bearing straight away. Car is driving fine... no smoke, and no loss of power, unlike when the hose had split where the power was down.

Problem is compounded as were are supposed to be away to the Lakes for 10 days at the weekend, and I'm now worried about whether its worth the risk to use the car.

Been looking around the internet since this issue cropped up, and  lot of the messages on various boards seem to be from a few years ago... so just hoping someone can offer some more up-to-date advice/comfort about this, and/or anything else to look for?

Taking it back to the garage tomorrow, and they are going to take off the under-engine skid plate and check all lower hoses. Dad has also heard of a pipe/hose from the rear of the Turbo, which is hard to see, which they are also going to look for/check tomorrow.

The car has been largely pain-free for the last 3 years... but had hoped to change it this time next year, but don't really want to be throwing money at it if possible.

Cheers for any advice offered.

MJ

• 1 month later...

Hi, did you ever find a solution to your noise issue?

I have a 1.8TDCi which is producing a similar sound - low pitched whistle/whizz increasing to nearly dog whistle sound on the motorway.  The pitch of the whistle varies with pressure on the throttle and can be stopped if my foot is just resting on the pedal.  I can play amazing tunes by just slight throttle, foot off pedal, then on etc.  This noise is getting a bit annoying now as it can be heard over the radio and it is very noticeable with the window wound down.  Strange thing is that one day last week I was driving on the motorway listening to the whistle when I saw a cloud of grey smoke from rear - the whistle stopped instantly and was gone for the rest of 15 miles to home.  Oh joy I thought, but 15 minutes into my journey the next day the whistle was back and is still with me.

If you did manage to sort out your issue I would like to give it a try on my car

Thanks

Ian 

Hi, my dads make this weird whistle kind of sound does it sound like this in my video below? If it does don't worry about we asked Ford and they mentioned some of the Turbo's eventually start making the whine

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club