Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sold dodgy ignition light?

James

I think I was sold a dodgy ignition barrel ring light.  I bought it from eBay. Black wire was barely hanging on and red wire was not connected to ring at all when I received it. Black wire broke loose not long after. Need advise .Is it fixable? My knowledge of electronics is brutal.Please find pictures attached. Hope someone can help.  

DSC_0312.JPG

DSC_0313.JPG

DSC_0314.JPG

It would need soldering.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Is it worthwhile repairing something that may well be a fire hazard ? My Son got a similar thing for his polo, a month later and it flickered like mad then went red hot and blew.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

It would need soldering.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Yeah a friend of mine recently said that would be the case.  I heard these things were delicate, but this !Removed! delicate.  Thanks.  

3 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Is it worthwhile repairing something that may well be a fire hazard ? My Son got a similar thing for his polo, a month later and it flickered like mad then went red hot and blew.

Yeah I think you could be right.  The head is telling me to throw it in the bin alright.  Cheaply made in China what did I expect I suppose.  

1 minute ago, James said:

Yeah I think you could be right.  The head is telling me to throw it in the bin alright.  Cheaply made in China what did I expect I suppose.  

Son got his from HK or China, his wires was all broke when it arrived, I soldered them back on, looked good in his car for a while anyway!

14 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Son got his from HK or China, his wires was all broke when it arrived, I soldered them back on, looked good in his car for a while anyway!

Yeah I'm not going to lie,  bought it for the looks more than anything else.  Going to ask my Friend who is an electrician for advice.  

• Like 1

If you don't fit the ignition light then the loom itself would be handy to form part of a footwell light set-up if not already on your car.

28 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

If you don't fit the ignition light then the loom itself would be handy to form part of a footwell light set-up if not already on your car.

I have the footwell lights already but thanks for the info anyway.  I want to fit a rear dome light in the car could this loom help with this? 

Yes but you'd need another wire from the unused contact at the double connector plug so the 3 way switch on the rear light can function correctly.

The loom you have there supplies the courtesy power circuit but not the feed for manually selecting the constant feed.

Easy wiring modification though.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

I had exactly the same when I ordered one. Contacted the seller and he sent me a replacement which was made much better than the original. Had it in the Focus for about 2 months now with no issues so far.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

mine fell apart, there is nothing wrong with it as such other than some really shoddy soldering. resolder it on and all will be well in the world.  Mines been in place for ages now, love it but I think I'm done for internal LED mods, I then moved on to external mods and soooooon, a fancy pod gauge! :DWP_20160110_17_41_00_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160513_20_15_20_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20160514_17_50_51_Rich_LI.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

mine fell apart, there is nothing wrong with it as such other than some really shoddy soldering. resolder it on and all will be well in the world.  Mines been in place for ages now, love it but I think I'm done for internal LED mods, I then moved on to external mods and soooooon, a fancy pod gauge! :DWP_20160110_17_41_00_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160513_20_15_20_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20160514_17_50_51_Rich_LI.jpg

That's a fine looking car you have there.  Especially like the Projector lights and front grill.  I bought crappy Sonar projectors for mine with the led strip, I think the stock halogen headlights are better.  Yeah I'm going to try to fix it myself by soldering it.  Took ages to arrive in the first place (nearly a month), I could send it back for a replacement but to impatient to wait for another one to be sent out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

I then moved on to external mods

''I'll Be Back'' :whistling1:

Terminator-Genisys-Review.jpg

• Like 4

^^^ that would make a cool gearknob......

B-)

• Like 3

To be fair, mine never fit properly (unable to close the steering wheel cowl fully afterwards), so butchered the end of it - kept the plastic outside ring to cover the irregularity of the ignition barrel and then fitted some leds to it.

yeah, it needs a little bit of tweaking, its not that it doesn't fit, its that it deforms the plastic by a tiny fraction, that prevents the plastic clip from connecting to the top half of the cover, you could just file the sides down a small amount to make it fit correctly.

4 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

yeah, it needs a little bit of tweaking, its not that it doesn't fit, its that it deforms the plastic by a tiny fraction, that prevents the plastic clip from connecting to the top half of the cover, you could just file the sides down a small amount to make it fit correctly.

The led ring is somewhere in a toolbox. Of which I currently have 3 and will need a 4th soon enough :laugh:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club