Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 - Change sump plug?

lloydyyy

I plan to change the oil and filter on my Mk6 Fiesta this weekend. I remember the Haynes manual said to check and renew the O-ring washer for the sump plug if necessary but it didn't mention anything about renewing the plug itself. A few sources say to renew the sump plug for each oil change. Is it better to be cautious and change the sump plug?

I regularly re use the sump plugs with rubber o ring in them, never had a problem yet unless they have been damaged then I've replaced the complete plug/washer.

For what it costs I'd change the complete plug.

• Like 2

You can reuse it, but ideally you would want to change it at every change, they are crush washers and are single use, I have reused mine once - just remember that if it leaks and needs replacing then you need to drain all the oil out again just to replace the O ring worth a few pence.

Btw, also look to change the fuel filter as well if you haven't, makes quite a difference :)

I could get a new rubber washer from CarParts4Less for 12p. My local GMF has a Corteco sump plug and washer for £3.60. I've changed just the washer before but I wondered if perhaps plug itself should be changed as well because the threads look prone to damage.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club