Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key locked in the car

Pantalonas

Hi all,

Been a numpty and locked my only key on the backseat. I have a 63 plate fiesta. (The other key didn't make it back from a night out). 

Rang my local dealer, he said should be covered by ford assist. Rang them twice and it isn't - would cost £120 to send someone out with no guarantee they can recover it.

Any ideas before I start ringing around for an auto locksmith ?

(I blame having 5 week old twins on a 3 hr feeding routine!)

cheers guys n gals

P

Keyless entry or not?

Sent from my SM-G930F

£120 with no guarantee to get the key back wouldn't  it cheaper to just smash the window. 

No not keyless entry.

yes it would be cheaper to smash the window!

Local locksmith says £80 to get in. The drivers door has the old fashioned key hole - just wondering if there's any tips or tricks to open that one door?

thanks for replying

As it is 63 plate Ford may cover recovery of key if the insurance was taken out at new purchase

as the cover usually lasts 3 years

Don't forget free help from Ford if you have your vehicle serviced by an authorised Ford dealer

Thanks guys - have my own insurance rather than through ford. Mentioned having it serviced with ford but made no difference.

Independent Locksmith is a better bet then.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Yeah just called one. Thanks for replying guys.

P

• Like 1

I'd break the window.   Free replacement on most insurances.

but that will leave glass all over the car forever. an owner 10 years down the line will end up picking some up. and will think theyve got a car thats been broken into at some point in its life

sometimes its better to just pay up and do it another way

• Like 1

Some years ago my car was vandalised and all 4 windows were broken.   The guy that came out to replace them hoovered up every last piece of glass and I never found another piece.   My son has the car now and he's never found a piece either.

If you ever have to smash a side window in, get some brown packing tape first  and tape the window up, then smash the window in, yes glass will still go in the car but most will stay together were you've taped up the window.

• Like 2

A guy at work locked his keys in with the engine running. The local garage did his free. They carefully pried open the top of the door and inserted an airbag in the gap which they inflated to make a gap of about 20 MM they then poked a long stick tool in and opened the window.  This was on a 65 Plate fiesta. No permanent damage done, the door just flexed back.

You can only open the window if the keys are in the ignition though, won't work in this case.

You could try the same thing to pull the door handle open, BUT only if it's not deadlocked.  I have used that method on a couple of cars with success.

If it is deadlocked you're stuffed really, only option is to break a window then I think!!  

You know thinking about the 'Original Poster' that the keys was left on the back seat and got locked out his car...... Has anyone ever came across this serious fault on the Fiesta ? Mine is a 10 plate by the way.

Unlock the car but don't open any doors - about a minute or two later it re-locks itself.

Unlock the car but only open a back door or boot, close the door or boot - about a minute or two later it locks itself.

A couple of years ago I put me grandson in our car, only opening the back door, putting the car keys on the seat & sticks him in his seat and closes the door, then remembers I've left something in the house, so I went back into the house and fetched his school bag, only to find the car has locked itself!! Oh god grandson is in the car and so are the keys!!! luckily enough missus was still in the house and I fetched the spare key fob and unlocked the car. But can you imagine if I was in a supermarket carpark or at school with the grandson locked inside :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I showed my Son this the other day and how stupid it is, he wasn't impressed at all but now I'm in a routine that I open the drivers door and keep the keys in my pocket. 

That's odd, usually stays unlocked when opening any door on the cars I've owned - only one that didn't was a golf with a faulty door lock module...damn thing locked with the keys in the ignition in Halfords car park! :rolleyes: 

BUT you can always lock them with the boot or rear door open, I do quite often to give an extra hand for shopping, but am always weary about leaving keys in there lol, I just make sure they always go in a pocket rather than on the seat or boot floor!  Other thing I've thought about is the keyed bonnet release on the older fords...it'd be so easy to lay the keys on the engine cover while checking oil etc, then close it and....noooo... :laugh: 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's odd, usually stays unlocked when opening any door on the cars I've owned - only one that didn't was a golf with a faulty door lock module...damn thing locked with the keys in the ignition in Halfords car park! :rolleyes: 

So could be something faulty within the electrics of the door/boot ? 

Easy way to test if car isn't detecting an open door, see if the interior light comes on with each door being opened.

29 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Easy way to test if car isn't detecting an open door, see if the interior light comes on with each door being opened.

I'm going for a look!

Unlocked the car - light came on - then went off - opened back door and the light came on :mellow:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club