Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How is it possible that my wheel bearing is bad ?

Fastlife91

For about 4 months now when people have been getting in the front driver's side of my car for a journey they report to me that they can hear/feel noise underneath them like a rumbling. For the past few weeks I have began hearing it, like the kind of noise when going over speed strips and it is louder when I am on the motorway for example. I had a free suspension test recently and DID NOT mention anything to them about the WB, however after test they mentioned it to me and so have several other different mechanics  who have been in my car without me even mentioning it to them.

I ordered the WB from eBay, last night me and a friend took off some parts ready to do the job, he inspected the wheel bearing (on the hub) and said it was absolutely fine and it span freely without any roughness  (he hasn't been in my car yet so isn't aware of where the noise actually is coming from ) he said therefore it does not need replacing, so we abandoned the job. he said maybe it could be the rear wheel bearing and the noise/vibration is travelling via the chassis ?

your thought's

Check tyres. I had a horrible noise from my Focus so I replaced tyres and noise was gone. Maybe you could swap front and back tyres to see if noise changes/goes away?

Had a vibration/rumbling - caused by one of the front (was a rear, but swapped wheels to even tyre wear) wheels being massively out of balance (thinking I lost a weight along the way somewhere!).

Just because the wheel bearing spins freely with no weight, doesn't mean it will with the best part of 3-500kg on it. I would have replaced it anyway as you have the part as a fault finding exercise.

7 hours ago, Micro said:

Had a vibration/rumbling - caused by one of the front (was a rear, but swapped wheels to even tyre wear) wheels being massively out of balance (thinking I lost a weight along the way somewhere!).

Just because the wheel bearing spins freely with no weight, doesn't mean it will with the best part of 3-500kg on it. I would have replaced it anyway as you have the part as a fault finding exercise.

This is correct with no weight it may not feel or sound  rough .Mine did exactly this and it turned out after changing it ,it was the bearing even the local garage could not be 100% sure that it was the bearing by spinning and by the sound..Even so when driving it hummed .My  ST3 MK2 is one year younger than yours and both wheal bearing on the front have been changed .Some times you have to find out what it is not then what is left is what it is.So if it was me I would change it, my guess and it is a guess it it will be it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club