Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Break Disks Worn?

Ford_lover38

Hi Guys,

While walking to my Ford focus today I noticed that my break disks look slighly rusty on each side (see pictures). Is this normal? Or is this a sign that they are getting worn?

When breaking while driving the car stops in good time and I notice no squeeks or the car moving to one side. 

image1.JPG

image2 (2).JPG

That's some rust that isn't being cleaned up by the brake disks wearing that particular area. So, of and by itself that is not really a bad thing, per se.

What may, or may not, be a problem s how the brake disks have worn in the 'shiny' areas: there will be a minimum thickness which, eg, an MoT tester would know and when you get down to, or near, that limit they are worn.

• 6 months later...
On 8/13/2016 at 7:43 PM, BOF said:

That's some rust that isn't being cleaned up by the brake disks wearing that particular area. So, of and by itself that is not really a bad thing, per se.

What may, or may not, be a problem s how the brake disks have worn in the 'shiny' areas: there will be a minimum thickness which, eg, an MoT tester would know and when you get down to, or near, that limit they are worn.

Thanks for your input mate.

Update - It failed MOT :( apparently the disks were "seriously weakened" so had to have new disks and pads. The new ones done seem any more efficient than the old! 

2 hours ago, Ford_lover38 said:

Thanks for your input mate.

Update - It failed MOT :( apparently the disks were "seriously weakened" so had to have new disks and pads. The new ones done seem any more efficient than the old! 

Seriously weakened! They don't look that bad unless the rear of the disk was worse. The minimum thickness should be 22mm if I remember correctly. (When I changed mine last year mine were in a worse state!)

IMG_1038.JPG

Edited by Russ
Added photo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

I've seen much worse than that pass an mot lol

Here's a copy of my Ford service report 😁

"Inserting image gizza minute"

IMG_20141016_200047_zpsbb1snprl.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stef123 said:

I've seen much worse than that pass an mot lol

Two lessons I've taken from this which I would like to pass onto you guys:

1) Get a second opinion (I didnt get a chance this time around or I would have)

2) ask for the old "worn" parts to be given back to you after a replacement - this will help you to contest the "vital" work.

One last tip, from now on I'm only going to get my MOT done in a place called justMOT. Which as the name suggests only does MOT's! So they have no hidden agenda to upsell you stupid things. They have multiple brances around the country, let me know if you need a hand finding one :)

• Like 1