Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta 1.6 Recall - The Details!

andy64

Hi all,

Further to Reaper's (in my opinion) rather pointless post, I can reveal that the recall in question relating to 1.6 petrol engined Mk7s relates to the brake booster vacuum hose (i.e. the brake servo operation).

I found this information by doing a search for my vehicle on the Ford Etis website this afternoon - Ford have added this information since I looked on Etis (for the first time) last weekend.

So now you all know...

I'm not unduly concerned & shall wait until I receive my dealer letter!

Is that it?

Thanks very much for finding the information out Andy.

What does it do? Is it important?

Is that it?

Thanks very much for finding the information out Andy.

What does it do? Is it important?

Yes, it is important.

Basically, if the hose fails you'll lose the power assistance to the brakes - I must emphasise here that THE BRAKES WILL STILL WORK - but you'll need to push the pedal significantly harder to get the car to stop.

The power assistance for the brakes is "powered" by engine vacuum - i.e. the "sucking" from the pistons as they go down the cylinders to suck the air/fuel mixture in; the hose goes from the inlet ("fuel in") manifold to the brake servo unit which looks like a very short cylinder adjacent (& attached to) the brake fluid reservoir & is mounted on the bulkhead under the bonnet at the driver's side of the car.

Failure of the hose could potentially also cause "poor running" due to a weakening of the air/fuel mixture due to vacuum leakage.

Incidentally, most cars didn't have power assistance to the brakes at all until the late 1960s onwards - & a friend once had a 1980 Mini which (rather surprisingly!) didn't have power assisted brakes!

noty on mine the recall was an electrical plug somewhere so perhaps there are 2 but my dealer never said about the brake 1and i had electrical plug 1 done friday :o :o :o :o :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'd like to know that also.. why or how would it be any different?

Diesels create the vacuum for the assisted brakes in a completely different way to petrol engines so i would think diesels aren't effected

Diesels create the vacuum for the assisted brakes in a completely different way to petrol engines so i would think diesels aren't effected

as far as I'm aware (at least from "Reaper's" original post!) this affects "Sigma" 1.6 engines only - which are the petrol ones, not the diesels.

as far as I'm aware (at least from "Reaper's" original post!) this affects "Sigma" 1.6 engines only - which are the petrol ones, not the diesels.

The diesel engines are built in a different factory,using completely different parts,hence the recall will only effect the engines stated by Andy.

Dave

Incidentally, most cars didn't have power assistance to the brakes at all until the late 1960s onwards - & a friend once had a 1980 Mini which (rather surprisingly!) didn't have power assisted brakes!

While that's true, it's worth keeping in mind that a car without power brakes has a different design of brake cylinder - a car with power brakes which looses vaccum will not respond nearly as well under braking as a car designed to run normally without it (Same goes for power steering). I'd be suprised if the more delicatly framed people among us could stop a Fiesta which has lost power assistance to the brakes very quickly... Especially the 1.6 which is one of the heavier petrols.

All this to say, if this recall affects you - get it checked yesterday!

Chris...

I learned about this brake hose recall only due to this forum, for which many thanks harweyko and others. I didn't receive a letter or anything but it showed up on etis.ford.com.

My dealer explained that it concerned part of the wiring loom possibly being wrapped around the brake hose. Within about ten seconds the workshop manager had lifted the bonnet, compared my car against photos of correct and faulty assembly and pronounced my Fiesta to be OK. A round trip of over 30 miles for not very much! But better to be safe than sorry.

I learned about this brake hose recall only due to this forum, for which many thanks harweyko and others. I didn't receive a letter or anything but it showed up on etis.ford.com.

My dealer explained that it concerned part of the wiring loom possibly being wrapped around the brake hose. Within about ten seconds the workshop manager had lifted the bonnet, compared my car against photos of correct and faulty assembly and pronounced my Fiesta to be OK. A round trip of over 30 miles for not very much! But better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks - this is really useful! Just checked mine & it appears to be OK though I'll mention it when my car's next in the garage.

Just checked mine & it appears to be OK though I'll mention it when my car's next in the garage.

I think it would be wise to get the recall officially signed-off by a Ford dealer.

Does anyone know anything about any other recalls? My dealer said that "nothing had come through" about the stone chip problem which seems to afflict only 5-door Fiestas. I'm doubtful whether mud flaps are the complete solution judging from the dirt thrown up over the last few days and I'd like the clear plastic shields too - belt and braces - if they're on offer.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to check guys, this is just the 1.6 engine and not the 1.4 yeah?

Thanks

yeah it's the 1.6 petrol only as far as i'm aware. Had mine done yesterday middle pedal feels much better now!

Are we going to get a letter or do we just go in and ask? According to the website I need it doing :blink:

Are we going to get a letter or do we just go in and ask? According to the website I need it doing :blink:

Flic, i didn't get a letter i was in a ford garage replacing a headlight and it got flagged up on the computer that it needed doing so they fixed it for me.

12k on the clock both bulbs gone in a month of each other :(

Flic, i didn't get a letter i was in a ford garage replacing a headlight and it got flagged up on the computer that it needed doing so they fixed it for me.

12k on the clock both bulbs gone in a month of each other :(

Did they change the bulbs for free?

no

Thats a poor show... probably would have been better off changing them yourself then... :unsure:

Thats a poor show... probably would have been better off changing them yourself then... :unsure:

if i had the time i would've given it ago lol

I had my service Sunday and was told that there was an outstanding recall on my car - no one had contacted me about it though. Apparently it was something to do with a wire crossing the brake servo, they just had to clip it up out of the way, they said it was nothing "major". Glad its been done though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just rang my local ford garage,after leaving details with a salesman on saturday to get in touch re/recall,they never did!

Yes my car has a outstanding recall but they need to check it first prior to ordering parts needed? check tommorrow,parts xmas eve!?

If it's a recall surely they know what they need? Think i now want my mk 6 back!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club