Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec - problems

BHeart

Hi all

I've not been around for quite a while but needed to visit and login again because I have a couple of issues with our 2010 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 and I'd like some advice on please.

First issue is the most important and it's to do with the 'engine management' warning light (resembling a small engine) which popped up yesterday whilst starting the car; it's orange and is not flashing and remains on whilst driving. 

I googled it and it seems that it has something to do with, the engine emissions control; advice was to check the oil level which I did and it's halfway between the bottom and top notches so I'm guessing that's fine.  I also checked that the fuel flap was closed properly and after opening and closing it a few times, the warning light stayed on.

Note:  Until I returned from HGV driving in July 2014, we had this engine management warning light appear when we were doing our morning vehicle checks and when we reported it to our mechanic, he would say, "yeah that's ok, just keep an eye on it", and we would then go out on the road for a 9 hour day with no problems cropping up.  Next morning, we might get the same vehicle again, and again, after reporting it, we would just go out on the road for the day.

Well, that's as far as my expertise goes; can any members help me in diagnosing this issue and what I could do to get the light to disappear, before I take it a our local Formula 1branch?

Second issue is with opening the bonnet, it opened ok but we then could not close is - it would not lock into place.  I spayed some WD40 on the bits under the bonnet but it still would not close.  When the bonnet release was pulled from the inside, it felt loose and was doing nothing; I though the cable may have snapped but, I located the end of the wire under the bonnet - it was still connected - and managed to pull it out about 3 inches and I was able to close the bonnet and then release it again from the inside - we did this at least three times so, maybe it's ok now?

That's it for the moment but I would sure appreciate urgent help/advice with orange 'engine management' warning light please.

13 hours ago, BHeart said:

Second issue is with opening the bonnet, it opened ok but we then could not close is - it would not lock into place. 

Do you close the bonnet like this .....Hold the open bonnet about one foot above the slam panel and allow to drop by itself ?

Or do you close the bonnet by placing it down carefully and pressing it shut ?

The bonnet needs to be dropped for it to close properly.

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply.

I close the bonnet exactly as you described in the first line of your reply and I tried this many times but the bonnet would not lock into place.

As I also said, I think it may be something to do with the bonnet cable because when it would not lock, pulling the release from within the car, the release catch was floppy' and, where the cable terminates at the front of the bonnet, it was still connected but I was able to pull it out by about 4 inches and when I did that, I held the bonnet up about 12 inches and dropped it and, it locked into place.

It appears to be working ok today but I'm wondering if there is a little slack in the cable which needs to be tightened up - do you know if the cable is secured at the bonnet pull end and, is there a screw/nut which can be loosened to take up any slack at the bonnet pull end?

With regard to the engine management warning light coming on, I've checked the oil level and that's fine and the fuel flap is closing properly; I've had not replies to this problem so, unfortunately I'm taking it into Formula 1 tomorrow to have them run a diagnostics test to see what codes come up - a google search for the issue seems to suggest codes PO420 (cat system efficiency below threshold) and PO460 (fuel level sensor circuit malfunction) - but the fuel gauge on our Fiesta is working properly.

I just hope it's not something that's not going to cost a fortunate? :unsure:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BHeart said:

With regard to the engine management warning light coming on, I've checked the oil level and that's fine and the fuel flap is closing properly;

There is a huge range of problems that could cause the engine warning light to come on. There will be one or more diagnostic codes (DTCs) stored in the car, that will narrow it down a bit.

When you mentioned codes PO420 and PO460, did you read these from the car, or just find internet references?

A basic OBD2 scanner is really essential to all car owners these days. They are dirt cheap, £10 or so, and very easy to use. It will save immense hassle & worry at some time. You may immediately be able to tell if it is something urgent, or that it can wait.

I got a U480 off eBay. It will read, (and reset if you want it to) most of the codes linked to the engine warning light.

More complex, Ford specific systems like Forscan will probe all modules in the car, and cover a greater range of faults, with additional diagnostic capabilities, but it is less easy to use.

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

This advice may be too late for this occasion, but there will be other times in the future, it is almost certain. Almost all cars do go wrong at some time.

When we first got our Fiesta which was brand new back in 2010, the bonnet would pop open as we drove along! having to stop and re-shut the bonnet, this was going on for a week, in the end we went back to the ford garage and they fiddled with the latch mech' and after six road tests by Ford, they sorted it out.

The bonnet puller has always been too loose after they sorted the problem, but glad it stays shut.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club