Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3, OBD-II Android Adaptors

Jambeers

Hi, I'm currently part way through a tablet in-dash install and i am looking into OBD scanners that can bluetooth to an android device so i can get info up on the tablet.
The problem i'm having is there seems to be a lot of confusion around what type of scanners to use with which version of (pre/post facelift) Mondeo. I have a 53 reg, 130bph, TDCI Diesel. 
Has anyone got / can recommend a OBD scanner for one of these? 
Or any knowledge of what i need to be looking for when i buy one?

I've found this on eBay for £4.24 but i'm not sure if it'll work. 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-OBD-II-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-ELM327-v2-1-Super-Mini-Adapter-Android-Torque-/162142331975?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I've also found this guide of models and their connectivity, which seems to suggest the above will work but i'm not sure.
http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectronics/ford_obd_2_pinout.shtml

Any insight you can give would be great,

Thanks in advance!

41 minutes ago, Jambeers said:

have a 53 reg, 130bph, TDCI Diesel. 
Has anyone got / can recommend a OBD scanner

A potential problem is that this may pre-date OBD2 compliance. For diesel, this was about 2004/5 (by EU law), though there will be a lot of variation due to design/production/registration time lags.

A proper ELM327 should communicate with older OBD1 type interfaces, but may depend on type.

The more important part is the software. Forscan is OBD1 compatible, and I do not think that Torque is OBD1.

Forscan lite is available for Android.

CM93 said that the KW902 adapter was compatible with Forscan on Android.

He got it from eBay Irelend, but one with the same name is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-KW902-Bluetooth-Scaner-OBD-Link-OBD2-Diagnose-Interface-Tester-white-UK-/281631334205?hash=item4192891f3d:g:XI8AAOSwEeFVBqJz

The ref. you gave is cheaper, probably worth trying first, though. It may take some trial & error to get a software & interface combination that works properly!

and:

• Like 1

Wow, thanks a lot for all the info, really helpful!

I'll try out the cheap one and let you know!

• Like 1

So i got the cheap one off eBay, and it broke in under 20 mins and before it broke it wouldn't connect with any of the apps i tried, rubbish thing. 
I'll have to try something a bit better next time. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jambeers said:

before it broke it wouldn't connect

The KW902 does claim to be able to use the older, non-CAN standards like J1850. Quite a lot of over 10 year old cars don't use CAN for the diagnostic interface.

Trouble is there is little guarantee with these things. Even a type number can be copied, ELM327 was once a proprietary type number, now universally copied by vast ranges of devices, of varying quality.

Let us know if you find a good one! I hope you do.

Peter.

I know this is not much help but I have a decent cheap ELM327 adapter for iOS I've had it for over a year and used it in several cars with several different programmes. It has never missed a beat and I have been able to change settings etc on VAG cars with it too. iOS uses wifi. If you want a link I might be able to find it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

iOS uses wifi. If you want a link I might be able to find it?

Links to known working wireless ELMs are always useful, especially WiFi, which is notoriously fickle with the ELM.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111706812531

This is the one I bought, it can be left plugged in all the time and linked to an iPad mounted on the dash and using an app you can see alsorts of vehicle data in realtime. I also connected it to my laptop using the forscan software. All via a very stable wifi connection.

Out of interest, is there any customisation you can do to the car, like auto locking at 10mph or 'chirp/beep' on lock and unlock etc....

Out of interest, is there any customisation you can do to the car, like auto locking at 10mph or 'chirp/beep' on lock and unlock etc....

Yep. Some of that can be done using the Foccus software.

Sent from the pub with a pint in the other hand.

Out of interest, is there any customisation you can do to the car, like auto locking at 10mph or 'chirp/beep' on lock and unlock etc....Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. Some of that can be done using the Foccus software.

Oh wait. Didn't realise this was for a Mondeo/Vignale. You prob need some other software other than Foccus. Apologies.

Out of interest, is there any customisation you can do to the car, like auto locking at 10mph or 'chirp/beep' on lock and unlock etc....Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. Some of that can be done using the Foccus software.Sent from the pub with a pint in the other hand.

Oh wait. Didn't realise this was for a Mondeo/Vignale. You prob need some other software other than Foccus. Apologies.

How do you get the foccus software? It might be worth a try.

Hopefully someone will come along with a mondeo specific programme

Just search it on google, that's how I got mine.

On 17/08/2016 at 6:05 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

The KW902 does claim to be able to use the older, non-CAN standards like J1850. Quite a lot of over 10 year old cars don't use CAN for the diagnostic interface.

Trouble is there is little guarantee with these things. Even a type number can be copied, ELM327 was once a proprietary type number, now universally copied by vast ranges of devices, of varying quality.

Let us know if you find a good one! I hope you do.

Peter.

Yeh i'll have a shop around and keep you posted. I contacted the company and they're sending another one, i'm not hopeful though. 

On 22/08/2016 at 0:54 PM, Jonro2009 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111706812531

This is the one I bought, it can be left plugged in all the time and linked to an iPad mounted on the dash and using an app you can see alsorts of vehicle data in realtime. I also connected it to my laptop using the forscan software. All via a very stable wifi connection.

On 22/08/2016 at 11:42 AM, kpg said:

I got this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222169142334

I used it to program my reverse camera without any problems whatsoever. Has a switch for HI/LO canbus settings.

Cheers for all the input i'll do some reading up Wifi sounds interesting, would leave bluetooth free for other things. What software did you use on the IPAD and with the focus one?

• 2 months later...

A long coming update :
The second one the company sent turned on but couldn't connect with any apps. Torque lite complained about it being a ODB2 copy and it couldn't read it.
However the good news!
I've then "splashed out" and got a Wifi ODB scanner for £13.59 on eBay (link at the bottom) and it worked. I tried following the instructions that came with it but when i went back to the default app settings and ignored the manual it works a charm. 
It seems to be fairly temperamental unless you connect it with the key on but the engine not started, however once it's on it works perfectly! 
Anyway i'm now a happy camper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281631334205?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

• Like 1

Yep you have to have the ignition on, but not running, to get any of them to read