Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Neighbours irritating parking!

BP2411

Hello everyone! Not sure it this is the correct section but seemed most appropriate, apologies if not!  I live in an end terrace house and my neighbours from a house in a different street always park on the side of my house even when the street is empty! I have tried speaking to them about it but they claim they don't speak English, however I always see them in town approaching people and speaking perfect English.  In an ideal world I would just put a bollard up but I obviously can't do that.  The side of my house is a bit of pavement then a plastic bollard then some bushes.  Tonight they've decided to park a hired sprinter van that is so long it blocked the rear of my car!

Any suggestions? Preferably legal.

• Like 1

Pictures would be helpful in understanding how the parking is affecting you ?

If the parking is causing a hazard to your car or any pedestrians, parked on the corner up on the kerb, then it's a Police matter, best dialling 101 and tell them you concerns but don't expect them to act straight away, a Traffic Warden will most likely not help.

If they are Poles I bet their cars won't be taxed or insured! Nor' will they most likely not have a full English driving licence, Police seem to ignore this too which is wrong because if it was an English driver they'd soon be on them.

Is the side road private ?

You can of course keep reporting this parking via' Fix My Street! Get other friends to report too, the more the Council gets, they'll know it's a major problem.

https://www.fixmystreet.com/

I had a problem with a neighbour who kept causing me issues as he was always blocking me in and walking away and laughing at me, but I had the last laugh because I'd been reporting this to the Police & local Council and this day I needed to get out, so phoned the Police again and they advised me 'again' to find the driver first and ask them to move the vehicle, told them I have and he refuses, so the operator said they will send out someone, fifteen minutes had passed and a big BMW traffic cop car pulls up, he comes up to our house and knocks on our door, tells the copper about my problem and he goes a door knocking and gets no joy, so comes back and tickets the vehicle! copper goes and within seconds the guy who owns the car came to his car and goes mad at me, I just told him he should be more courteous in his parking, block me in again and you'll end up with another ticket or even worse lifted & towed away, after that he never blocked me in ever again.

• Like 1

It's a VW Crafter not a sprinter but same size, thanks for the reply, I've been taking photos every time they park here, they come and go really late and really early and I have 2 young children who are constantly being woke up by them!

Is that right on a junction, or is it all private driveway?

If the former you can report them for illegal parking if it is a public road.

• Like 1

Looking at streetview they are also parked on the pavement.

Have you asked your local police (non emergency) to come and look?

• Like 2

They have parked on the pavement and also on the road which leads into the cul-de-sac around the corner, I haven't reported them to anyone yet as I didn't know if it was a police or council highway issue.  Thanks for the advice, next time they do it I'll give 101 a call.

+1

I'd report them for parking on the pavement (though nowt wrong with it apart from in London I believe), and parking with 10m of a junction / blocking a junction

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, laumk7 said:

+1

I'd report them for parking on the pavement (though nowt wrong with it apart from in London I believe), and parking with 10m of a junction / blocking a junction

......and for having both headlights busted!!! :whistling1:

• Like 1

Lol be a shame if a rental went back damaged wouldn't it? "How much to pay?!?" :lol:

• Like 3

Defo' one for the police mate! If you've got a cop station nearby, nip and see them in person and show them the pictures, very dangerous & illegal parking.

I bet the rented van is not in the actual drivers name too!

What you really need to do is find and borrow the same sort of white van, get some vinyl thrifty stickers made up and stick them on the back, get a rear number plate made off eBay, attach plate to white van and go by every speed camera you can think of and make sure you get flashed :tongue: The rental company will sure be screwed and they will do their best to pass those fines onto the driver....lol

It is so tempting to do something to the cars / vans they park on the side of my house but it'd be obvious it was me plus I'd hate it if someone vandalised my car. The van is gone but now another one of their cars is on the side of my house despite there being 2 spaces they could've used closer to where they live.  I rang 101 and they were very helpful. I've also reported it to the council and on fixmystreet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

I rang 101 and they were very helpful. 

Come on! What they say ?

Another note but I wonder if the rental company would be interested in how one of their vehicles is being parked!

5 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Come on! What they say ?

Another note but I wonder if the rental company would be interested in how one of their vehicles is being parked!

I did think about ringing the rental company or emailing them the pictures. I didn't think the police would care tbh and would fob me off to the council but the man I spoke to was very helpful and understood why it was so irritating due to it happening since I bought the house (5 years ago) and how regular it happens.  They said they'd log it and get someone out within 24 hours to follow it up!

• Like 1

Not that I'd condone such actions, but imagine how much of the deposit the rental company will take should the van be returned with even the most minor of damage...

But on a serious note, bad parking is so infuriating!!

I'd recommend getting the cheapest, nastiest car you can find. A £100 runner that has been SORNed and park it there yourself, if you haven't got the option of leaving your car there all the time.  At least you know it's your car and at least you have control over the space :)  This is assuming it is private land of course.  Looks like it might just be, as the road doesn't have the standard tarmac finish.  My road has the same surface and we pay to maintain it with the service charge.  Contacting the council and asking whether it is an adopted highway will clear this up.

Or maybe something very heavy that can get delivered cheaply.  Ton of sharp sand. A large concrete block.

Whatever it is, I suspect it won't need to stay there for long.

A police officer just called asked for my side of the story, I showed him some pictures I'd taken, he seemed really angry about it.  He asked me to email him the pictures and he'd go speak to the owners.  I must say I'm surprised at how helpful he was and how serious he's taking it, I know it's his job but I thought I was being a petty but he got quite angry about it.

• Like 4

I would class that as parked in a dangerous manner and obstructing a junction.

It is also parked facing oncoming traffic.

In my book that is an endorsable fpn offence.

I know in general that parking enforcement is now the responsibility of councils but we still deal with dangerous and obstructive parking situations.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

This has reminded me of something:laugh:

My mate had a similar problem outside his unit, which the council nor the cops would get involved in as it was a private business park, and thus a civil dispute. :mellow:

Whilst his solution may have been questionably legal, it was quite funny to see it on his CCTV later, and they never again blocked his entrance.

He's a scaffolding contractor, his neighbour had a courier business. 

All the units had 6 allocated parking spaces outside.and the turning circle was quite tight to turn into the loading bays between the parking places.  His neighbour had more drivers than parking spaces, so they would park their private cars all over the place, much to the annoyance of all the other businesses.  My mate has wagons loading and unloading every day and they need to be able to get into his unit to do so. He'd often find a car parked right by his loading ramp where there should've been 6: he'd find 7 or 8 cars were parked, hampering the scaffold wagons getting in or out.:mellow:

After some altercations it was agreed with the courier that all his drivers should leave their keys behind in the office, if their cars had been left in in silly places, they could be moved.  However, not all of the drivers did this:sad:.

One morning before he got down there, my mate gets a phone call, from his manager to tell him, the idiots from next door have left a Cavalier on the ramp: not by the ramp, on the actual ramp itself.:censored::ranting: Furthermore, the owner has gone to a collection at Heathrow to take to Leeds, he won't be back until this afternoon, and he's not left his keys in the courier office either! :furious:Adding they were having to load the wagons with forklift and a pallet truck in the road, some 500 metre from the unit!!

My mate goes down there, and tells the courier they have 10 minutes to move the Cavalier or he'd move it.  The courier said he hadn't got any way of doing it. :huh:

With that, my mate gets on the forklift and puts a couple of pallets on, with it's tight turning circle he's able to slip the pallets under the Cavalier and lift it up.  He was going to dump it on the couriers ramp and then thought better of it, whilst it's his driver, it would scupper the couriers business if he did that.  His dispute right here, is with owner of the Cavalier.:cursing:

Opposite the units, is the west coast railway line, the Poole to Dorchester section.  There's a 4-5ft chain link fence and a small brick building (electric sub-station??) very close it on the railway side  He slowly trundles over to it, Cavalier held aloft on pallets and forks, and places it squarely on top of the building.  He then calmly walks back to the courier :whistling: and tells him when your driver wants his car back, tell him to come and see me, there will be a fee for recovering it, to cover my costs.

That afternoon when the driver returned to find his Cavalier not where he'd left it:mellow::unsure:, and then to discover where it actually was:ohmy:.  He opted not to speak to my mate, apologize and then ask him to get it down, but paid a local commercial recovery company to crane it off. Which I reckon had to be a couple of hundred quid, my mate was going to charge him 50p for the diesel

After this little episode, not only did the Cavalier driver never obstruct my mate's unit, but none of the couriers other drivers parked badly in the bays either.:laugh:

Nowadays, of course, someone would video it and put it on you tube; but this was the in late 80's

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

Given what I just saw when I went out five minutes ago, I may need to print a few of those off...

WP_20160813_22_01_48_Pro.jpg

Good thing I don't need to go anywhere!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club