Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel fired heater?

Vikigib87

Hi. I have a ford mondeo titanium tdci 2.2 diesel 2005 recently had cutting out issues. Had diagnostics in which been told it is the fuel fired heater. Trying a cheap fix and doing it ourselves. Have a lot of knowledge in mechanics. But for the life of me on this car have no clue. Looking for a little insight...... Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

2 hours ago, Vikigib87 said:

Had diagnostics in which been told it is the fuel fired heater.

If the car is UK, it is more likely to be an electric supplementary heater. There seems some confusion in the diagnostics about fuel fired vs electric heaters.

This thread show this: http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/auxiliary-supplementary-heater_topic9131.html

I advise you to get a diagnostic scanner. They are not expensive, and will cover their cost many, many times over. You will be able to confirm the code, & check if it changes or goes away.

Peter.

Here's me visualising soft glowing embers in a tray under the engine to keep it nice and warm. when i read fuel fired heater. :tongue:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

If the car is UK, it is more likely to be an electric supplementary heater. There seems some confusion in the diagnostics about fuel fired vs electric heaters.

This thread show this: http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/auxiliary-supplementary-heater_topic9131.html

I advise you to get a diagnostic scanner. They are not expensive, and will cover their cost many, many times over. You will be able to confirm the code, & check if it changes or goes away.

Peter.

Thanks will look into that. May sound a daft question but I don't suppose you have an idea where on the car I can find it? Not 100% sure on what I'm looking for. Extensive searches online have drawn up nothing. 

• Like 1

I doubt its got fuel fired heater, only ones ive seen are electric, and they are under car, n/s/f near attatched on to or near the subframe. With thick wires attatched,

Cutting out issues were normaly the cam position sensor, esp with engine warm.

16 minutes ago, Vikigib87 said:

I don't suppose you have an idea where on the car I can find it?

Not a daft question, but I can't really answer that. It will need to feed warm air into the heater unit. But Ian (above) is much more likely to know.

Difficult to see why a supplementary heater problem should cause engine cut-out. May be entirely independent. All the more reason to get a scanner! I would check out Ian's suggestion first.

We have had a scanner on the car and all it comes up with is fuel fired heater?! Spent hours searching the net for solutions etc as can't seem to find anything at all. 

7 minutes ago, Vikigib87 said:

all it comes up with is fuel fired heater

Some sensor faults, if intermittent or minor & within range, do not show up as errors. In that case, the only solution may be to change things, starting with the cheapest (I hate that approach, but sometimes it is the only way).

You should be able to determine if an electric heater is fitted: Check the handbook (or Internet fuse box layouts) to see if there is a fuse for it, and if it is fitted, and if so, if removing it changes the problem. And from what Ian says, it may be under the front of the car, with thick wires & some duct or vent into the cabin heater.

If there is a fuel fired heater (Was car first registered in north of Scotland?), it is likely to be in the engine bay, and will heat the engine coolant, and must have an electric water pump. So follow all the coolant hoses. I believe that this type of heater  heats the engine, heats the cabin, and provides extra frost protection (while parked) in severe climates.

A third option is that something has happened to the settings in one of the modules, so it now thinks there is a heater, when there is none. In that case resetting / re-programming the module (most likeky BCM (Body Control Module) or pcm (engine computer)) would be needed. That sounds like an expert job (ie not me!).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, new to this forum and l think you'll find that this is probably a small fuel heater on the fuel filter. l have a c max tdci, but it's probably going to be similar. Look on your fuel filter and see if any wires go to it. Let us know if you find it.

Cheers Bob.

20 minutes ago, grandadbobby said:

probably a small fuel heater on the fuel filter.

Hi, Robert,

That is a point, you have got me wondering if there was a typo saying fired instead of filter in the original post!

But there is such a thing as a fuel fired heater, it is usually only found in Arctic countries (Scandinavia, Canada) where even the best anti-freeze is not good enough, and the engine oil would go very stiff at -40C. It burns diesel (usually) to keep the engine above a certain temperature while parked outside.

And you have reminded me that I was planning to check the heater in my fuel filter, I am suspecting that warm fuel may give a couple of extra mpg, as well as reducing waxing up in the filter. Winter is approaching.

It looks like the OP (Vivky) has solved the problem anyhow, and not returned for a while.

Peter.