Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O/T My new computer prospect

Michael P

I have a yearning for a Mac, and being short of funds i cannot afford the mighty MacBook

However, i have dug like a digger and thought that i can get the Mac Mini for £500 and an LG 20" flatscreeen for £110 (as much as i want to, over £600 for an apple cinema screen is just too much, more than the sodding computer!)

Opinions? Worth saving up for?

I'm not going to try to talk you out of buying a Mac, because if that's what you want, then go for it... ;)

On the other hand, I might be able to help out with the monitor. Do you know what resolution of it is? Better yet, the model number?

I bought my 22" LG for £120 about 4 years ago, so £110 for a 20" seems a little high in my opinion.

EDIT: As I'm off to bed now, I thought I'd give you some more info. I don't know how much you know about computers, so sorry if some of this is stuff you already know.

If the resolution isn't at least 1680x1050, I wouldn't bother. It's possible that it's a 16:9 ratio screen, in which case it could be 1280x720 or 1366x768, or even 1600x900 which seems common on 20 inchers. I'd avoid them if you can, because you'll find it lacking unless all you're doing is watching movies on it. I'd spend the extra £20-30 on a 22" with either 1680x1050 or 1920x1080. I think it would be worth it. As you're on a budget, LG is a pretty solid brand to go with (I have one myself!). Other brands that might be in that price rance that I would recommend are Viewsonic and Dell.

Oh, and having looked at what's available on some sites, make sure whatever you get has a DVI or HDMI socket. VGA is not the way to go.

Happy buying!

I have a yearning for a Mac, and being short of funds i cannot afford the mighty MacBook

However, i have dug like a digger and thought that i can get the Mac Mini for £500 and an LG 20" flatscreeen for £110 (as much as i want to, over £600 for an apple cinema screen is just too much, more than the sodding computer!)

Opinions? Worth saving up for?

It really depends on what you'd be using it for, as a better specced PC/laptop could probably be had for a similar price. They're pretty much the same inside nowadays so you'd just be paying a premium for the brand.

i dont want windows. i've had nothing but trouble with this laptop which is only 11 months old on vista, i've had to reinstall it three times and its doing my nut in!! so i want out of windows altogether.

and Silent Shark, i shall find out....

Graphics and video support

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Mini-DVI port

DVI output using Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (included)

VGA output using Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter (sold separately)

Mini DisplayPort output

that enough? i don't know alot about that side of computers!

i dont want windows. i've had nothing but trouble with this laptop which is only 11 months old on vista, i've had to reinstall it three times and its doing my nut in!! so i want out of windows altogether.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Mini-DVI port

Mini DisplayPort output

I'm a mac user, and love them. However the GF has a Compaq 6751s, which until last weekend was running vista and the performance was terrible. I installed windows XP on it, and it's now running like a dream. I've heard lots of similar stories about installing Windows 7 as well.

Perhaps try upgrading first, it'll save you shedloads of cash. If you're still a student you can get a discount copy from software4students.co.uk

IMO the mac mini isn't worth the money, you're better of saving up for a bit longer and getting a MacBook or an iMac. The performance isn't great. :(

I commented on your facebook :)

just another little thought. Although as said above, the performance isn't amazing, you will find a damn sight better than windows. I would now never have a windows box again. Mac is the way forward :P

The mac minis are great. However they are never going to be very fast which might mean in a couple of years you might want a new one.

My advice would be to save up until xmas and maybe ask for the rest of the money you need as an xmas present and try to get the low end macbook pro. Its around £900 but its such a better machine than the standard white macbook! I just brought one for my GF and its amazing! honestly never thought it would be that great because its low end but didnt really notice much of a step down from my 2.8ghz macbook pro! All you would need to do with the low end 13 MBP would be to change the 2gb of ram for 4gb which is around £50, which will make the macbook a new machine in turns of doing lots of things at once.

Hope that help :)

If you want any more advice ask me on facebook!

Ps if you do go for the mac mini then i wouldnt advise the mac display anyway! Its over priced for the quality of the screen! Its very nice but can get a lot better for half the money!

I'm a mac user, and love them. However the GF has a Compaq 6751s, which until last weekend was running vista and the performance was terrible. I installed windows XP on it, and it's now running like a dream. I've heard lots of similar stories about installing Windows 7 as well.

Perhaps try upgrading first, it'll save you shedloads of cash. If you're still a student you can get a discount copy from software4students.co.uk

IMO the mac mini isn't worth the money, you're better of saving up for a bit longer and getting a MacBook or an iMac. The performance isn't great. :(

i hate it that you have to downgrade a windows computer to make it run better! its rediculous. I would save for a macbook but to get one i'd have to save up about £200 more and they seem to get more "out of date" quicker.

just another little thought. Although as said above, the performance isn't amazing, you will find a damn sight better than windows. I would now never have a windows box again. Mac is the way forward :P

i've heard everyone who has one wouldn't go back!

The mac minis are great. However they are never going to be very fast which might mean in a couple of years you might want a new one.

My advice would be to save up until xmas and maybe ask for the rest of the money you need as an xmas present and try to get the low end macbook pro. Its around £900 but its such a better machine than the standard white macbook! I just brought one for my GF and its amazing! honestly never thought it would be that great because its low end but didnt really notice much of a step down from my 2.8ghz macbook pro! All you would need to do with the low end 13 MBP would be to change the 2gb of ram for 4gb which is around £50, which will make the macbook a new machine in turns of doing lots of things at once.

Hope that help :)

If you want any more advice ask me on facebook!

Ps if you do go for the mac mini then i wouldnt advise the mac display anyway! Its over priced for the quality of the screen! Its very nice but can get a lot better for half the money!

i am hoping it will be just after xmas, i am going to do a load of overtime at work and the extra money is just going to be withdrawn as soon as i get it which will be saved. after i get my car sorted this shall be the next thing!

iv had my imac for about 2 years now and i would never buy a PC for personal use ever again.

i have to have a pc for part of my job but other than that i use my mac all the time and its been a dream.

so much infact im about to buy another one woop woop.

if you can stretch to and imac i would do, saves space, cables and has better performance so worth the saving abit more up.

iv had my imac for about 2 years now and i would never buy a PC for personal use ever again.

i have to have a pc for part of my job but other than that i use my mac all the time and its been a dream.

so much infact im about to buy another one woop woop.

if you can stretch to and imac i would do, saves space, cables and has better performance so worth the saving abit more up.

£945....its possible. it would take ages though. but they're da bom.

i'm actually going to start playing the lottery

£945....its possible. it would take ages though. but they're da bom.

i'm actually going to start playing the lottery

Yes MichaelP I echo what most have said - get an iMac - yes you may need to save for longer but sure! Good things come to those who wait!

Now is a great time to get one too - the lineup has just been refreshed - and you could possibly finance it as I'm aware they offer finance options - wireless keyboard and 'magic' mouse - I'm saving for the 27" iMac but it'll be February probably before that happens!

Don't get "a better specced PC for less" as someone said - it still runs Windows at the end of the day!

Good luck

Peter

i've mentioned it to my dad and he seems ok about it!!

i''ve pretty much decided to go for the Mac Mini, spend £80 on getting the ram up to 4gb and then get a good monitor. iMac...one day!!!

I would still go for the macbook pro mate. Its got lots of power for a little machine and its portable to take to school and one day uni ;)

I still have my old black macbook from 4 years ago and its amazing!!!

The mac minis are great, just dont see the point in having the same speak as the macbook pro but not being able to move the thing around if its your only mac.

But still up to you :) just have a think about it before you buy it. Make sure your buying it for the right reasons. Look and see if you the portability is a bonus of the MBP etc because its a lot of money to regret spending :) (well not regret because its still a great mac)

I would still go for the macbook pro mate. Its got lots of power for a little machine and its portable to take to school and one day uni ;)

I still have my old black macbook from 4 years ago and its amazing!!!

The mac minis are great, just dont see the point in having the same speak as the macbook pro but not being able to move the thing around if its your only mac.

But still up to you :) just have a think about it before you buy it. Make sure your buying it for the right reasons. Look and see if you the portability is a bonus of the MBP etc because its a lot of money to regret spending :) (well not regret because its still a great mac)

basically, my spec is 4gb ram and iWorks, with the mac mini it's £650 including mouse and keyboard, add £120 for the screen and its £770

macbook pro equivilent is £970

and i've sussed that i have had absolutely no luck with laptops, every single one has died (thats four of them!)

thats using the apple education discount (not sure how it works, can i just get it straight away or do i have to prove it??)

Mini-DVI port

Mini DisplayPort output

Give Windows 7 a try, it is 100 times the OS that vista is. It is better than any mac OS as well, and i use both.

Give Windows 7 a try, it is 100 times the OS that vista is. It is better than any mac OS as well, and i use both.

Please dont use such dirty language on here!!!

Windows will never be better than any Mac OS. Fact.

Mike the only thing i was thinking of is that if you get the MBP then you have the option to take it around with you. and if you wanted a bigger screen you could one day get an external display.

The EDU discount for me was just given to me. Rang up ordered it and that was that :)

Please dont use such dirty language on here!!!

Mike the only thing i was thinking of is that if you get the MBP then you have the option to take it around with you. and if you wanted a bigger screen you could one day get an external display.

The EDU discount for me was just given to me. Rang up ordered it and that was that :)

Being a Mac fan, then its probably fair to assume that you have not used windows 7? would that be correct?

I use both Snow Leopard & 7 daily, and IMHO 7 is the better OS, and by a distance for me. just my opinion.

Vista was rubbish, granted, but all the issues (and lets be honest here, there were/are many) that haunted it, have been resolved, and then some! It is very fast, completely stable, and has great productivity with fewer clicks than any OS i have used. yes some of the newer features have been influenced by certain other OS, but there is nothing wrong with that IMHO. To be completely original you would have to invent something that no one else has even thought about, far less produced.

each to their own, and i respect yours, and everyone else's choice, but you should give it a try, you would be surprised :)

Being a Mac fan, then its probably fair to assume that you have not used windows 7? would that be correct?

I use both Snow Leopard & 7 daily, and IMHO 7 is the better OS, and by a distance for me. just my opinion.

Vista was rubbish, granted, but all the issues (and lets be honest here, there were/are many) that haunted it, have been resolved, and then some! It is very fast, completely stable, and has great productivity with fewer clicks than any OS i have used. yes some of the newer features have been influenced by certain other OS, but there is nothing wrong with that IMHO. To be completely original you would have to invent something that no one else has even thought about, far less produced.

each to their own, and i respect yours, and everyone else's choice, but you should give it a try, you would be surprised :)

I have used it a bit, not a lot i admit, but even for the short period of time i felt it wasnt what it should be.

I do like to take the mic out of windows, but at the end of the day the best is different for every person :) and ill respect that too :ph34r:

iv used snow leopard and windows 7 now for a while and i strongly believe that Mac OSX is 100 times better.

better speed, better load times, better layout, better settings controls.

windows 7 is just vista with a face pack nothing great about it to be honest. and still i will never ever buy a pc again unless its for work.

I don't want to give windows any more of my money! they have been !Removed! on all occasions i have had a laptop with windows on it so i can't even be bothered to give it a try and spend a penny on this waste of space laptop!

Being pedantic, and I feel I can be - I'm an English teacher, that is, in fact, an opinion. ;)

woah!

i'm looking forward to it now, hopefully after christmas they shall be mine :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club