Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why am I seeing 40 - 42 mpg 1.8TDCI when it should be getting between 39.2 - 64.5 mpg ?

Fastlife91

I have a 1.8 ford focus mk2 sport 1.8 TDCI

The fuel statistics are

urban - 39.2 mpg

combined - 52.3 mpg

extra urban-  64.5 mpg

I find and have done since having the car that I only seem to average 40 - 42 mpg approximately whether driving just around town or driving around town and on a lot of dual carriageways , I often just see 39.2 - 42 mpg, my question is do you consider this normal ?  It is a 18.TDCI diesel

I have achieved 57 mpg , maybe 58 mpg on an almost full motorway journey doing about 500 miles on the motorway and 20 - 30 around town. this was doing 60 mph for hours on the motorway, a bit of 70 and 80 mph too.

I have a slight fuel leak that needs addressing and the wires to my mass air flow need fixing.

is this mileage about right , I thought I should be seeing around 47 mpg when driving around town with du=al carriageways mixed in but I only seem to be seeing 40 - 42 mpg which is just above the minimum for urban driving ?

any ideas ?

• 2 weeks later...

given a fuel leak and MAF need doing, and dependant on the service history of the car, that sounds about right, in fact it seems reasonably good for a ten year old car,.

• Like 1

I'd like to know who comes up with .2,3 ect of a mile when doing that stuff always makes me laugh, it's as bad as all this £1.18.9 at the pump, honest to god. They should bring out a 99p coin..or just round off !Removed! stupid..

• Like 1

I get 35mpg on my Focus... i'm a bit spirited of a driver though, and always have the aircon on!

40 - 42 is between 39.2 - 64.5, get the fuel leak fixed & it will improve. 

Like Micro i get around 37mpg & I have a 1.6 titanium petrol

• Like 1

I have 1.8 tdci titanium 2007 and can cover approx 550 miles on full tank motorway and town off £60.

round town I can get just slightly less but have noticed though when on flat road in 30mph limit 4th gear doing 30mph I get 99.9mpg.

motaway 70mph approx 35mpg

if I do 80mph on motaway I get 55/60mph

its getting the revs in gearing right for each time out.

70mph have to keep foot pressed 

80mph down m6 just touch it like a feather 

On 10/08/2016 at 10:37 PM, Fastlife91 said:

I thought I should be seeing around 47 mpg when driving around town with du=al carriageways mixed in

I get over 50mpg (average) in summer. Little urban driving, but lots of little lanes, no m/way, some dual carriageway. And about 1/3rd to half the mileage is pulling a heavy trailer.

Drops to 46 to 49 mpg in winter.

That's the brim to brim method, with mileage from the trip counter.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club