Do Not Sell My Personal Information

advise please

Kawasaki mick

having problems ,so far my car has been back to the garage i purchased it from 3 times so far its had ,new cat ,new airflow meter,new injector,new diesel pump,,,but it seams to drive really well till you get to just over 3k on rpm and you lose the turbo and the glow plug light starts flashing ,this has been going on since 3 days after picking it up it love the car but im so fed up with it its driving myself and the seller nuts im about ready to chuck the towel in ,,,,,any ideas please,,

53 minutes ago, Kawasaki mick said:

garage i purchased it from 3 times so far its had ,new cat ,new airflow meter,new injector,new diesel pump,,,but it seams to drive really well till you get to just over 3k on rpm and you lose the turbo and the glow plug light starts flashing

They must be barking mad!

They seem to be changing bits on a random basis, starting with the most expensive.

I would have started by running proper diagnostics on it, then if did not directly identify a fault, change the crank sensor, then cam sensor.

Any chance of you getting your money back? And buying a nice Focus from a better dealer?

Changing diesel pumps & injectors is not a job I would give to anyone I did not trust!

Sorry, but I can not think of anything more helpful.

11 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

They must be barking mad!

They seem to be changing bits on a random basis, starting with the most expensive.

I would have started by running proper diagnostics on it, then if did not directly identify a fault, change the crank sensor, then cam sensor.

Any chance of you getting your money back? And buying a nice Focus from a better dealer?

Changing diesel pumps & injectors is not a job I would give to anyone I did not trust!

Sorry, but I can not think of anything more helpful.

its being done under warranty peter its been on diagnostics and the faults were pump ,injector ,airflow meter ,at this point the eml was on as well as the glow plug light ,now its just the glow plug light,and no power thankyou anyway buddy,,

19 minutes ago, Kawasaki mick said:

diagnostics and the faults were pump ,injector ,airflow meter

Car diagnostic systems do not always work like that. The fault codes are helpful pointers or indicators, but they have to be read and interpreted very carefully to actually pin down a fault. The internal systems in the car do not have full knowledge, and have to make assumptions sometimes. It often requires additional tests, and knowledge, to get to the right bit.

For instance, air flow wrong can be the MAF, but it can be the MAP or intake system leaks, as the MAF airflow is compared to expectations based on RPM & MAP. And that could be a problem now. Airflow errors will increase with rpm.

The reason I suggested crank sensor in particular, is the speed dependence of the current fault. Also it is a cheap & relatively easy bit to change.

Yes, the cost is covered under warranty, but hurried repairs often don't last well, or have side effects. With major items like the high pressure diesel pump (if that is what it was), that is a worry.

Without these diagnostic codes, fixing modern cars would be impossible, too many bits. But it is easy to go too far the other way, and take all codes as Gospel truth. You still need some old fashioned expertise!

• Like 1

yes cool im new to diesels so its all double dutch to me i drive old cars my main car is a bmw e30 325 1986 lol,it all started with not sitting at set speed in top gear it was reving up and then dropping down horrible to drive ,then just as it was going back in to the garage the glow plug light wouldnt go out and started flashing,went in diagnosed airflow meter and 1 injector ,got it back it was fantastic for 25 miles then not only was the glow light flashing the eml was now on ,this time it was the diesel pump loads of codes came up all ref to the pump,got it back it flow really good lots of power smooth ect then it suddenly felt like it had popped out of gear same sort of noise an felling if you get me drift on came the glow light ,now switch it off restart it ok no light get to 3200 bang on it comes plug in diagnostic nothing comes up,i be honest i have said if it goes again im getting a full refund i bought it at 2000 spent 300 servicing it ,its got a full service history and coming up to 18000 mls on clocks,thought i was doing the right thing getting a newer car so i could take the bmw off the road to get some work done on her had mondeo over a month only driven it less than a 100 mls ,,got to laugh really lol

9 hours ago, Kawasaki mick said:

getting a full refund i bought it at 2000 spent 300 servicing it ,its got a full service history and coming up to 18000 mls

£2000 for an 18,000 mile car sounds either a very good price, or a bit dodgy! (or has a zero gone astray somewhere?)

From the list of problems, I would think the 2nd option is more correctunsure.png

If it is old and low mileage, then the problem is diesel engines do not really like that sort of lack of use. (must be pre-2004 if glow plug light is used to indicate engine faults, I suspect).

Buying low cost used cars is always a bit of a gamble. When I bought mine, it was £2700 private sale, when the normal small dealer rate was about £4000. (It had over 120,000 on the clock, but if that was motorway, then diesels don't mind that at all). I was convinced it was going to be a disaster, but it has done 5 years without any expensive failures.

I think your idea of one more go, then get a refund is probably the best. If you go for another diesel, don't worry too much about mileage, it is the servicing that matters. And there are plenty of nice Mondys & Foci out there. It is just down to luck really in landing a good one.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club