Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Mondeo cruise control problem

chris1200

The problem is, it ain't working. The only other feature on the steering wheel is the horn but that works ok.

On start up you can see the cruise control light come on and disappear and I know the car has cruise control fitted. 

I know there are potentially a few causes so I was wondering how to start the process. Maybe the fuse is the offending part and it would be the easiest fix but I don't know where to find it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

When you say it doesn't work, have you tried turning it on and pressing set?  If its like the Focus, the dash light doesn't come on until you actually press set which seems odd to me.

If it actually doesn't work I'd check brake and clutch switches.

Yep, it is the same in a Mondeo: you press the On button on the left of the steering wheel, but cruise control doesn't activate until you press the set button on the right.

Thanks guys

Yes I have pressed the on button on the left side then pressed the set button. Nothing happens. 

It may be useful to add that the buttons on the cruise control switches do not illuminate when the lights are on. I don't know if that makes a difference to the potential cause of the fault. 

Have you checked the brake and clutch switches?

The wheel lights don't illuminate.

Hi Tom

Without meaning to sound totally stupid, how do I check them and where can I find them !!

Thanks

They are both just above the pedals, sometimes a pain to access, not sure on the Mondeo.

Brake switch should be an easy check, just make sure the rear brake lights come on and go off as you'd expect.  

Clutch switch is harder to check, I'd check it with live diagnostics but appreciate you probably don't have that option.  You could remove the switch and check it electronically with a multimeter depending on access if possible.

Thanks Tom.

The brake lights are working perfectly so it can't be the brake switch. If it ain't the clutch switch then I guess it must be the steering wheel controls that are faulty......I think! lol

Or is the throttle body thingy a potential cause.....

the fuse for cruise control  is behind the glove box i think it is f45 10 amp .it also the  fuse for air conditioning and windscreen washer heaters .I had the same problem with mine, how i  cured mine was by disconnecting washer heaters ,pull back insulation under bonnet and disconnect plugs both sides of the bonnet .these cause the problem of blowing the fuse .As long as you use anti freeze in washer bottle you don,t need them. I now have cruise control and air conditioning .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was the fuse :smile:

Now during my fuse fiddling I seem to have created another problem. My electric mirrors don't work, my clock doesn't work and when I start the car the outside temp appears in fahrenheit (even though it can be changed to centigrade by pressing the button, but that's a real pain every time I start the car). I have looked at the wikiford glovebox fuse layout. The fuse for electric mirrors is ok, there isn't one for the clock and the temperature thing...I don't know if that's fuse related but it never happened before i started pulling fuses. 

Any ideas folks! 

All sorted now, thank goodness. Everything working exactly as it should. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club