Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Confused by Air Con system!

kev 2010 s-max

This one has me confused! I bought a 2010 S-Max yesterday. The air con system is definitely faulty but can't figure out why. The digital system seems fine, the air which comes out of the vents is cool. But it doesn't come out powerful enough to cool the car. The fans sound like they are working, and when the fans are on the noise is what you would expect, but still no air pressure coming out of the vents. When I take out the blower fuse, the noise stops, so it is the blowers making the noise. Is there something I'm not considering? Going to France in it in 2 weeks so would like to have air con! Please help if you can suggest anything for me to look at. Thanks 

Does the fan speed change as it should or do all the speeds seem the same? If the speeds don't change it could possibly be the resistor pack for the fan, not sure where that is on your car but they are about £25 from ford.

does the air direction work? Eg you can change it from footwell to dash vents to screen ok 

Thank you. The fan speeds change, yes. As you would expect. The air direction does change but not very well, and you can't tell much difference between off and on as the pressure of the air is so low. I did put the screen heaters on, and you could feel the hot air coming out of the screen vents, but again nothing powerful.

What temp have you set it to? I usually leave mine at 18. But if it is really sunny and hot I turn it down to 16 to get enough air flow. Leave all the vents open and press Auto.  You would think you could leave at 20 all year round but at that temp in the summer the air coming out of the vents is frequently not cold enough and the fan speed is too low.  I really like it in the winter, set it to 20 or 21 and the car interior gets nice and warm without getting overly hot.

Ford air con is just crap...  I have the same issue in the Focus.  The air is cold, the AC system works, the blowers work (though they seem to make more noise than they actually move air on number 4!) but from the drivers seat you just get 'whisps' of cooler air passing now and then, it can't cool the whole interior like previous (older, higher mileage!) other brands that I've owned.

On a 2010 it would be a fair guess that the cabin air filter has never been changed ? If so, odds on its probably well bunged up. Might be worth having a look at that.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your time. Tomsfocus that's exactly how it feels, great description!.. Thank you Joss max, I hope so, that one sounds the least expensive possibility!

On 13/08/2016 at 11:16 AM, Trewithy said:

What temp have you set it to? I usually leave mine at 18. But if it is really sunny and hot I turn it down to 16 to get enough air flow. Leave all the vents open and press Auto.  You would think you could leave at 20 all year round but at that temp in the summer the air coming out of the vents is frequently not cold enough and the fan speed is too low.  I really like it in the winter, set it to 20 or 21 and the car interior gets nice and warm without getting overly hot.

No matter what temperature, or fan speed I set it to, the air speed coming out of the vents is the same as if something is blocking the air flow.

Sounds like the pollen filter is bunged up. Needs replacing.

• Like 1

I have read that when Ford programmed the climate control system they set North American models to be more 'aggressive' than European models, apparently that's the way Americans like it.  From the comments on here perhaps we should have it like that.

Can you hear the flaps/valves opening when you turn the system on and off, or if you change the direction of flow?

It could be that they are not opening when the system comes on, so it is not letting the air through.

Modern Ford's have electrical actuators which change where the air comes out of, or block the vents completely when the system is turned off. If that has failed or stuck in the off position, you'll get little or no airflow.

Definitely check the cabin filter isn't completely bunged up first though.

12 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Can you hear the flaps/valves opening when you turn the system on and off, or if you change the direction of flow?

It could be that they are not opening when the system comes on, so it is not letting the air through.

Modern Ford's have electrical actuators which change where the air comes out of, or block the vents completely when the system is turned off. If that has failed or stuck in the off position, you'll get little or no airflow.

Definitely check the cabin filter isn't completely bunged up first though.

Thank you very much.No you can't hear the flaps/valves opening. Looking at what you describe there that seems the most likely. Is that a part replacement or an electrical problem?

I don't know if there is any particularly part which can typically fail or get stuck.

@iantt might know (Sorry Ian :P ).

I'd start by checking all fuses related to the A/C and ventilation system. There are often more than one, if you check your manual.

Thanks to all.. pollen filter change sorted it. £32.50 fitted.  Brilliant result 😊

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club