Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crash, wondering how much for repair or write off

AndrewClaytonUK

Hello there. This is my first time posting.

2 weeks ago I was in a crash, not of my own fault. As you can see from the pictures, a car went into the side of my car on a round about as they pulled out, not giving way to their right. Ir has damaged the rear bumber, scratched the alloy and the side. It is currently at a garage waiting to be viewed by the third partied insurance company, which they are taking their time with. 

I am wondering, out of curiosity, how much will this be to repair, including parts, labour, painting and materials. I was looking at the price of the parts, but I do not know what the side of the car is called 'properly'. I'm assuming since it goes all the way to the front of the car, going above the doors, they will have to replace the full side of the car? 

Finally, do you think it will be written off? Apparently, if a car crashes into your wheel, it is a serious thing as it can fracture the allow, or whatever.

20160728_160559_resized.jpg

The panel is typically referred to as the 'rear quarter panel', unless it's smashed to bits a bodyshop will using 'pull out' any dents and smooth over with filler.

A whack on a wheel from the side isn't great because it can bend suspension components, although as long as the chassis itself isn't damaged it should just be a case of a garage replacing any damaged suspension components and then checking the wheels are aligned correctly.

From the pictures it doesn't look like it was a particularly large impact so hopefully it'll just be cosmetic work that needs doing.

Hello Andrew and welcome to FOC.

Is that the only damage as shown in your picture?

That area is commonly know as the nearside rear quarter and near side bumper of course. To me that is only minor damage and easily corrected as it is only cosmetic.

A decent spray shop would have no trouble sorting that out for you. Price £200-300

Going via other drivers insurance, if they accept liability probably a lot more.

Your wheel would need to be checked out for any damage, but the picture really does not look to bad. If wheel is not broken and its just a scratch, then easily sorted by respraying.

Yeah it doesn't look bad, just the ford garage were saying it was a bit serious and my car was not road worthy to drive :/

Really?

From what i see from your picture is a glancing blow/ light contact initially.

Is the rear wheel buckled? Are there any obvious cracks in the alloy? Has the tyre deflated since the accident? if not. it may suggest there are no cracks.

I think the ford garage is pulling your leg somewhat as to the extent of the damage.

You could always take your car for a second opinion.

We are taking insurance claims here and some garages just see ££££ at insurance work

there was scratches on the wheel itself, I did not check the alloy that thoroughly and I do not know if my tire has went down, as it was taken straight to the garage. To be honest, I'm not bothered how much it is costing, as it is not my insurance or myself paying for it, it is the third parties insurance company paying for it.

Hi!

Had my car written off recently, according to the assessor anything up to 60% of cars value would be a repair, anything over 60% would be a write off!

Regards Steve (aka carpysmith)

Hi,

it has got to be the race red colour! 

-a deer ran into mine :( 

i have the front wing, washer bottle, bumper and grills replaced coming to £1800 claimed insurance car wasn't written off. How old is the car? 

Thanksfully I part exchanged mine against a newer ecoboost model as it wasn't the same. 

Thanks

Jon.