Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the Clutch Release Bearing and Slave Cylinder the same thing?

Focus 115

Hi all,

I just want to clarify on this. I own a MK1 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi. I'm planning on replacing the clutch, DMF and release bearing at the same time (all part of a kit). I was just wondering, is the clutch release bearing also known as the slave cylinder, or are they two separate components? Anyone able to shed light on this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Two totally seperate components, the 'slave cylinder' is for the clutch fluid.

• Like 1

It's the same unit on the mk1 focus, the slave cylinder and release bearing are combined - also known as a concentric slave cylinder. 

• Like 1

Ah, okay, thank you! Will be replacing the lot in the next month or two. 

The master cylinder pushes fluid to the slave cylinder which in turn exerts the concentric slave to push against the pressure plate. Master may be a separate unit on the pedal or may be fed from the brake reservoir depending upon vehicle make.

Release bearings used to be operated by a fork system with cables until hydraulic concentric slaves became the norm. But the release bearing is now an integrated part of the CSC.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club