Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick bit of "how long will the battery last" advice please

H22A

Went to the car at lunchtime, started it up, sounded a bit "whirry" not loud though, then alternator light came on, whirring noise stopped.

Drove for about 20 minutes, including one stop, starter motor sounded fine and restarted. Was not using any electrical accesories or lights.

Drove again for about 15 minutes (most of which was in solid crawling traffic), then started getting ABS warning light, check engine warning light, power steering failed.

battery now drained too much to turn starter motor.

Have booked a recovery for when I finish work at 4.

Will test later to see if it's a belt or actual alternator issue. 

So I was wondering, hypothetically speaking, if the battery is good and is fully charged up but the alternator is not charging nor providing power, if I removed the power steering fuse (which I suspect is the biggest drain) would it hold enough charge for a couple of 30 minute trips with a single start at each end? Or would it be likely that the other electrical systems would drain the battery in this time?

if it`s the original battery in your car and it`s lasted 10yrs it`s done well time for a new one I think there not too expensive around £45 - £50 for your car

8 minutes ago, andypsp said:

if it`s the original battery in your car and it`s lasted 10yrs it`s done well time for a new one I think there not too expensive around £45 - £50 for your car

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I just bought a yuasa battery for my focus and it was £99! That was a hsb075. 620 amps.  You can though buy a smaller amperage halfords calcium battery from £65. The main thing is get a Calcium one!

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I just bought a yuasa battery for my focus and it was £99! That was a hsb075. 620 amps.  You can though buy a smaller amperage halfords calcium battery from £65. The main thing is get a Calcium one!

blimey have they gone up that much in price, mind you it was over 3yrs ago when I got one for my 2008 focus (mind you I never touch halfrauds anyway lol)

13 minutes ago, Russ said:

eBay same battery £56 :rolleyes:  eBay item number:

I'd rather buy it from a shop seeing as eBay has so many fakes/knock off & rip off merchants, and the fact from a shop you get it right away. I should add, I always used eBay, right up till the point my bank account was compromised! Although my money was returned no explanation was ever given as to why I had money removed!

12 hours ago, H22A said:

would it hold enough charge for a couple of 30 minute trips with a single start at each end?

I drove a Vectra about 50 miles (approx 50 minutes) with a dead alternator once. In daylight, so no lights, and all optional electrics off.

An hour would be pushing your luck a bit. I would rather keep the steering on, and find a way to recharge between the two halves.

pull the steering fuse and take for a short drive, then you will be putting the fuse back in, no doubt whatsoever. lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iantt said:

pull the steering fuse and take for a short drive, then you will be putting the fuse back in, no doubt whatsoever. lol

Too many folk have never had the pleasure of not having any power assisted steering. perhaps that's why everyone who drives a lot now puts on more weight then they used too :)

• Like 1

try manouvering a mk3 focus without electric assistance , virtually impossible. 

• Like 1

haha, worse than a VW camper??

I suppose the small steering wheel must make doing a 3 point turn interesting lol

Problem is non-pas systems are designed to be lighter and easier to steer with different camber and toe, thin tyres, more turns on the rack, plus you're not trying to turn a resistive motor or pump as well lol.

Using a pas system without the pas is much worse than stock non pas lol!!

I was told in college (so not sure how true it is!) the battery is designed to last for an hour if the alternator fails.  Obviously that's on a good battery though lol.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

Got recovered last night, AA man stuck a new battery in and followed me home. Got 5 miles down the road, warning lights again, power steering failing.

Turns out that the alternator was a direct short, and was very hot indeed - the partnumber sticker is black and partially melted. Disconnected it and it was fine after.

Gave up on the power steering fuse idea, there's no way I could adequately manoeuver the stationary car, I would challenge Hafthor Bjornsson to park with no assist!

Picking up a new (recon) alternator today, fitting doesn't look too bad, just need to de-tenion belt and remove A/C comp.

• Like 1

Tanya batteries online I bought 5 year warranty varta battery 75 posted overnight 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club