Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Need help deciding

Ken.K

Hey All,

I have a dilemma in which headunit to go for as I have decided to keep the car for another year or so do i go the OEM look route or complete change it and have that aftermarket look. am looking at these 2 headunits. 

OEM - http://www.eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-GPS/GA5161F.html

Aftermarket - http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/apple-carplay/pioneer-sph-da120-car-stereo-with-apple-carplay

I will always go android as you can make it everything you want it to be lol.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

May I suggest the below? I have the older version of that head unit (android 4.4 instead of 5.1) bought from the same seller (for 269 quid back in summer 15). Excellent head unit, and has served me perfectly well until now. Made my car 100x more enjoyable to drive. No major issues, and seller is very helpful. The audio quality is also noticeably better than the stock Ford head unit. Also, my version is reasonably fast (has a dual core processor), but the one in the link below has a quad processor, so will be even faster. GPS signal has been rock solid, never loses signal randomly. And it looks 100x better than the aftermarket Pioneer/Sony/whatever units - fits in very neatly and subtly into the dash. A lot of people who've I've chauffeured around thought it was stock (apart from the more techy people obv).I've installed Skype, Waze, and other Android apps onto it - you can even install things like Spotify if you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-5-1-DAB-SatNav-DVD-Player-GPS-for-FORD-Mondeo-FOCUS-KUGA-GALAXY-C-S-MAX-/322103537227?hash=item4afeddee4b:g:GV0AAOSwbYZXe1WF

Any questions, just shout :)

May I suggest the below? I have the older version of that head unit (android 4.4 instead of 5.1) bought from the same seller (for 269 quid back in summer 15). Excellent head unit, and has served me perfectly well until now. Made my car 100x more enjoyable to drive. No major issues, and seller is very helpful. The audio quality is also noticeably better than the stock Ford head unit. Also, my version is reasonably fast (has a dual core processor), but the one in the link below has a quad processor, so will be even faster. GPS signal has been rock solid, never loses signal randomly. And it looks 100x better than the aftermarket Pioneer/Sony/whatever units - fits in very neatly and subtly into the dash. A lot of people who've I've chauffeured around thought it was stock (apart from the more techy people obv).I've installed Skype, Waze, and other Android apps onto it - you can even install things like Spotify if you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-5-1-DAB-SatNav-DVD-Player-GPS-for-FORD-Mondeo-FOCUS-KUGA-GALAXY-C-S-MAX-/322103537227?hash=item4afeddee4b:g:GV0AAOSwbYZXe1WF

Any questions, just shout :)

Perfect I see it has DAB how did you connect this. Also do you use your phone as a hotspot for things like waze, skype etc

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I didn't bother with the DAB to be honest. I only really listen to music by plugging in my SD card to it, which has the majority of my MP3 library. Yes, I use my phone as a hotspot - the built in WiFi is pretty good - it autoconnects as soon as I toggle my WiFi hotspot on my LG G4, and never has dropped signal.

EDIT: For pretty much any head-unit you'll need an external DAB antenna, which will presumably involve running wires down the A-pillar, but I'm sure you already know this.

I didn't bother with the DAB to be honest. I only really listen to music by plugging in my SD card to it, which has the majority of my MP3 library. Yes, I use my phone as a hotspot - the built in WiFi is pretty good - it autoconnects as soon as I toggle my WiFi hotspot on my LG G4, and never has dropped signal.

EDIT: For pretty much any head-unit you'll need an external DAB antenna, which will presumably involve running wires down the A-pillar, but I'm sure you already know this.

Cheers mate i use spotify most times anyways and like yourself will use an sdcard also. Thank you will research into this further

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No problem, below is an old picture I took immediately after installation, in case you're interested. (Sorry for the slight blur, I had a crappier phone back then.)

IMAG0265_BURST002_COVER.jpg