Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Mk3 Focus Titanium X some mods and questions

filandeb

Bought this about a year ago and have made some changes, some of which have raised questions.

I retro fitted ST3 Reccaro front electric seats (and rears as well  - if I've got them, why not?) . Easy enough to do, just needed to splice into the appropriate circuit underneath the passenger seat for power for the motors. The most difficult part was explaining it to the insurance company, I did think long and hard before doing so but I thought I ought to at least make the effort.

I changed them because I discovered 150 miles into the first 300 mile journey, that the original (half leather seats FWIW) that if I didn't stop and rest for a couple of hours, they were going to cripple me, seariing, burning pain between my shoulder blades and into my neck. They got my wife in a similar manner.

I've also retro fitted the factory fit SONY SATNAV to the car replacing the existing SONY DAB radio. Obtained the parts from a Fiesta of the same age. Having read all the issues other people were having with the SONY DAB units, I thought it might be a bit of a gamble but it turned out to be basically plug and play. I changed the radio control panel for the sat nav version which involved some very minor plastic (ha) surgery to one of the mouldings. For some reason the 8 pin connector on the back of the control panel is in a different position on the replacement one from the original one. I don't know if this is because it's from a Fiesta or because it's  satnav one. (out of curiosity anyone any idea?)

For information there are 4 Fakra connectors on the back of the unit, the blue one connects to the GPS antenna, the black one connects to the FM aerial (so it can get traffic information) and the red one feeds the FM signal to the head unit via a short link lead. I kept my original head unit, there are some slight mechanical differences between the Fiesta one and the Focus one. Changing the top covers over would solve the problem but unless it didn't work, I couldn't see the point. There is also a bigger green connector with 4 pins. Anyone any idea what this is for? I've seen a North American version of the SATNAV and it has a yellow single pole Fakra in place of the green one, which looks exactly the same as the single yellow one you get on the original colour screen. As Preee ( I think that's the right number of 'e's) has suggested in other posts, I think it might be for the reversing camera, although if the video signal has been digitised (by a unit in the wiring harness), then the camera signal may come up one of the CAN busses. If anyone has any ideas, I would like to know. As I mentioned it all works and all the 'features' that the car had previously are also still working. I've got a temporary SATNAV antenna on it at the moment, square plastic blob on the end of 3 metres of co-ax, wedged underneath the dashboard, it seems to work OK in spite of the heated front windscreen.

I plan to upgrade the radio antenna to the factory SATNAV version. I don't know for certain that it is a combination unit or whether the 2 are separate. Can somebody tell me and show me pictures? I think it might be, because under the head lining near the base of the existing antenna is a blue Fakra connector with a co-ax coming out of it and disappearing into the wiring loom. Anyone any idea where the other end of this cable may turn up - just so I don't have to remove the whole interior of the car to trace it. I have also heard that there is a co-ax link cable needed between this lead and the SATNAV. Anyone any information on this?

I've also bought an OBD adaptor (the tunnel rat one) and downloaded the Focccus, Forscan and ELM config software (and a few others). Still playing with these but they seem to work fine. Ive used the Focccus one to enable  the autolocking for the doors. Over the enext few months I'll be going through it to see what can be done so there will probably be more changes. I do want to fit the factory reversing camera. The car has privacy glass at the rear (which I'm rapidly becoming disenchanted with), which I didn't think anything of until the first time I tried reversing in an unlit car park at night - ok the thing has front and rear parking sensors but I still like to be able to see where I'm going.

Edited by filandeb
typographical errors