Do Not Sell My Personal Information

after market head unit & retain standard functionality?

gameover

Are there any head units out there that retain the entire standard functionality of the car? such as trip computer text, warning/notice beeps, steering controls

I'm driving a 2012 Ford Mondoe (Mk4), really happy with it but lack of USB and bluetooth is annoying.

I'm currently using Aux which isn't ideal so looking for alternatives.

I either need a decent head unit that provides bluetooth/USB and retains all standard functionality or buy a dedicated MP3 player for the car.

If I go with the latter (MP3 player) - has anyone come up with any cool solutions to make the integration a bit better? It would be good to be able to change tracks and stuff from the dash or at the very least install some extra buttons.

I had the idea of buying an iPad classic or something and stuffing it's 80GB HDD full of music, installing it in the small compartment next to the lighter/power source so that it can always be charged, then routing the aux cable so it's hidden.. I've noticed there are also wireless/bluetooth aux connectors (would maybe need a bluetooth iPod though) .. how well do these work and how is sound quality?

Is there an aux solution that will let me change tracks without touching the iPod?

Any suggestions? Thanks

• 2 months later...

Most of the time, they have to be Ford units, so they can communicate over the CAN Bus, some may be CAN Bus compatible, however, that doesnt guarantee the head unit compatability.

Personally I opted to remove the headunit, and wire up a Nexus 7, gave me complete functionality for a fraction of the cost, that said, it doesnt integrate with the instrument cluster, but then again I presume you have the MK4.5 and possibly the Converse+ Head unit, whereas I have the MK4 and a standard head unit.