Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio replacement MK3 Mondeo

chris1200

My 2007 Mk3 Mondeo has the 6000 CD headunit. I was thinking of replacing it with a double DIN headunit to give me bluetooth. I have 2 questions:

1. Will I lose the steering column controls (not the end of the world if I do)

2. Will a standard double DIN headunit fit straight in or are there some that will fit better than others. I know a fascia plate will probably be required too. 

This is what I was thinking of (OR something similar) as a replacement... 

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/car-stereos/sony-wx-800ui-double-din-car-stereo

Many thanks

"1. Will I lose the steering column controls (not the end of the world if I do)"

Depends entirely on the HU (well for some you might need to buy an extra bit of interface kit). Check any advert to see what they claim. If they claim that they have it and it doesn't work you should be able to send it back. If they don't make any claim then you probably don't but it might be worth an e-mail to the seller to check.

"2. Will a standard double DIN headunit fit straight in or are there some that will fit better than others. I know a fascia plate will probably be required too. "

I think you will almost certainly need a fascia plate and whoever sells the HU probably should sell you one. You might need some kind of adaptor between the existing connections and the HU. Again the seller ought to be able to advise.

On 23/08/2016 at 10:40 PM, chris1200 said:

My 2007 Mk3 Mondeo has the 6000 CD headunit. I was thinking of replacing it with a double DIN headunit to give me bluetooth. I have 2 questions:

1. Will I lose the steering column controls (not the end of the world if I do)

2. Will a standard double DIN headunit fit straight in or are there some that will fit better than others. I know a fascia plate will probably be required too. 

This is what I was thinking of (OR something similar) as a replacement... 

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/car-stereos/sony-wx-800ui-double-din-car-stereo

Many thanks

Hi I was looking into this also and have found out some bits:
1) You can get adaptors for most of the big brand head units, dynamic sounds seems to be the best website to find them, they are avaliable on other places aswell but these are well reviewed. (https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ford-steering-wheel-interface-adaptors.html)
Once you've looked at your adaptor options like BOF said it's down to the head unit itself, you need to check if it's compatible with stalk controls. If you went into somewhere like halfrauds and asked them they'd probably help with pointing out the things you need to look for in a head unit to get it to work (i would eventually order it online though if you don't want to take another mortgage) .

2) As BOF said again, you'll definitely need a converter plate. Mondeo head units are not a standard 2DIN size. A quick search of "ford mondeo mk3 2DIN fascia" on flebay will give you lots of options for single or double din converters. You can spend what you like on these cheapest around £7 up to whatever, they don't seem to be too different but that's up to you.

On 24/08/2016 at 9:56 AM, BOF said:

I think you will almost certainly need a fascia plate and whoever sells the HU probably should sell you one. You might need some kind of adaptor between the existing connections and the HU. Again the seller ought to be able to advise.

I feel i should add i only looked into this and haven't gone through the process of buying/fitting/testing it. I opted to fit a tablet into my dash and relocate the headunit to the glovebox so i didn't loose the stalk controls bit of a lazy option i know... 
Good luck hunting!

check the size, i fitted a double din unit to my old mondeo mk 3 and i had to grind away some of the fascia to make it fit and it still stuck out a bit, i have a spare steering stalk connector if you would like it, it's for ford cars so should fit ( pc99-x07).