Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with topping up Coolant on my Focus

daveefarr

Hi!

This is going to sound like a dumb question but I am currently unable to top up my collant on my 58 Reg Focus as there is some kid of "seal" underneath the cap? I've checked the manual and been Googling it all evening and have not been able to find any reference to this part on the car?

Basically the coolant level is looking low, so I have undone the cap but underneath it is a black plug with a brass coloured circle in the centre. There doesn't appear to be an easy way of removing it apart from prising it out with a flat headed screwdriver but I didn't want to damage anything without getting some advice first.

Anyone any ideas please? It's so odd as there doesn't appear to be any reference to this part but topping up my coolant tank (the tank with the Max/Min marks on it) isn't just remove the cap and pour water in.

any help greatly appreciated as I got a long drive on Friday and need this sorting beforehand!

Cheers

Dave

10 minutes ago, daveefarr said:

undone the cap but underneath it is a black plug with a brass coloured circle in the centre.

It sounds to me like your cap has come apart, possibly broken. And that could be why the level is low, if it is not holding pressure.

I suggest you buy a new cap, about £10 off eBay. Then prise the old insert out. I think it is held in by quite stiff O-rings. Damage to the insert will not matter, but take a bit more care with the reservoir. If the reservoir is damaged, it only costs about £23 to replace (including cap).

I had a similar issue on the Fiesta.  The cap would explode on removal -

9zZcbB5.jpg

Fitted a new one for less than a fiver!

koVXqJP.jpg

• Like 2