Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine managment light

Rachs81

56 plate focus 1.8 petrol zetec

Had engine service yesterday all was good new oil and coolant 

Drove it last night no problem gone to work in it today no problem.

On my way home noticed eml was on no lost of power everything else is fine ... but have noticed that the coolant was just above max level ?

The error code on dash is DCT #00 NONE

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you 

Rachel 

To find errors you really need an ELM cable and one of the free programs. The 'dash trick' might not show errors up and the codes it does show don't match up with the real error codes.

Wasn't sure if it could be coolant level as I parked front facing down hill ..... 

Thought it might be a bit more complicated.

Thanks though 👍

4 hours ago, Rachs81 said:

Thought it might be a bit more complicated

I can not think of any link between high coolant level and EML.

Those in car dash indicators of errors never seem to be any good, I have seen several cases of duff messages.

Logically, there must be some error code linked to that EML.

In most cases where the EML (the one with the engine icon) comes on, a basic OBD2 scanner will reveal the codes. They are available on eBay for about £10, safe and dead easy to use. I got a U480, it works fine for basic engine codes.

There are major advantages in having your own scanner. Sometimes codes can go before a car gets to a garage, then they have no clue at all as to the fault. Sometimes codes can be present without the light being on, 1st occurrence of many errors is logged, with no EML.

Forscan, with an ELM327 cable (like Russ suggests) is a really excellent tool, and not expensive (under £20 for the system), but it is more complex, and may be an overkill for this situation. If the light that came on was the engine systems light ("!" in a circle), or any of the others, then I would say that Forscan would be the best tool.

Has the EML gone out? Sometimes after a service there can be some glitch, air in the fuel or something, and an error appears, then does not repeat. In that case don't worry, but think about getting a scanner, or even Forscan, anyway!

Peter.

Thank you ..

I bought a scanner the U480 .... its the oxygen sensor 😯 are these easy to do or is it a garage job ? If I can sort it myself where do you recommend I get one from 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rachs81 said:

are these easy to do or is it a garage job ?

In principle it is easy. In practice, as with so many bits, access & corrosion can be problems.

I am not sure about this engine, but they are often situated under the middle of the car, in the exhaust system. And possibly part of the exhaust would have to be removed. Exhaust fittings are quite often badly corroded in, and can be hard to undo.

The next question is a suitable replacement: There may be two sensors on this engine, front (or pre-cat) and rear (or post cat). If the diagnostic code clearly identifies the suspect unit, then it is simpler. There is a huge range of replacements available, form well under £20 to over £100. The cheap ones are mostly generic, and do not have a connector, they have to be hard wired (cut off the old connector & link the wires). Mid price ones come with a connector, Top price ones claim to be "OEM" quality, or are branded units.

There is also the Titania vs. Zirconia question, a red wire indicates Titania, according to one site.

I 100% like the idea of owners doing jobs on their cars, I like the degree (though often small!) of control it brings, and do not entirely trust garages. But there have been times when I have regretted starting a job!!

Have a look through: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Lambda-Probes-Sensors-/63276/i.html?_from=R40&mvsub=1&_mcatda=true&selfil=2%2C3%2C1%2C9%2C8&selvel=Ford~Focus~2006~MK%20II%20%5B2004-2016%5D~1.8&_nkw=oxygen sensor Ford Focus 2006 MK II 1.8

Even if you do not trust or like eBay, the information is very useful. I use eBay a lot, but there are other suppliers.

Have a good look at the job. Only you can decide.

Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help.. its the one at the front of the car looks like it might be a bit difficult to get too.

I will do some research and may just do a garage trip 😕 i know a trustworthy mechanic but he's always booked up (good for him bad for me)

Is there a time scale of urgency that this needs doing?

Again thanks for your Peter 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rachs81 said:

Is there a time scale of urgency that this needs doing?

If there are no additional symptoms, I would say not.

Listen out for any increase in pinking or knocking sounds, or any misfires or hesitations. These would indicate a bad mixture, and should be dealt with quickly.

It would probably be an MoT fail on emissions, just from the EML being on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Jon84 said:

EML Light is not an MOT fail

Yes, that seems correct!

I have plodded through the MoT test specification (feb 2014) for emissions, and it does not mention any diagnostics or warning lights.

I had heard from a normally reliable source that EML light on can cause problems at MoT, but there seems no formal test or check for it. However, inability to do a test may be grounds for rejection of MoT pass, so if the normally required rpm can not be achieved due to an internal error code, then that might cause a fail, for example.

14 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Yes, that seems correct!

I have plodded through the MoT test specification (feb 2014) for emissions, and it does not mention any diagnostics or warning lights.

I had heard from a normally reliable source that EML light on can cause problems at MoT, but there seems no formal test or check for it. However, inability to do a test may be grounds for rejection of MoT pass, so if the normally required rpm can not be achieved due to an internal error code, then that might cause a fail, for example.

Mine was on as I didn't get a chance to clear an error code after water in the spark wells. It was just an advisory. That makes sense, if EML is saying a sensor is faulty, then you could fail emissions etc.

• Like 1