Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cone filter for MK7'S

beatty36

it says "K&N 57I Cone Filter Ford Fiesta Mk.7 Ti-Vct and all 1.25 and 1.4 models" does not mention TDCI Models

could be wrong though :D

I know virtually nothing about diesels so I'd need someone else's more-informed views on diesel airflow systems, as I would not bother spending huge amounts on something like that if it's not going to make any difference.

Hi everyone, found this whilst browsing the pumaspeed website >> http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=820

Does anyone think that the 1.6TDCi would benefit anything from this at all? I dont think so like, but i know more about petrols than diesels.

opinions please ;)

If it's any help a mate of mine did some testing with a Fiat brava 1.6 I think, he used one of these K&N kits and fitted it with a cold air feed as prescribed (he ran his own garage in those days). Truth is it made not a jot of difference to the power and economy at first and once the engine got hot the open nature of the filter meant that the engine performed worse once it was hot (he had it on a dyno tester/rolling road type thing). As far as I could tell it was like a politician made lots of loud noises but offered no improvements or benefits. Seems like a lot to Shell out for possibly no return at all. I would suggest a panel filter I always get one simply because they can be cleaned and with my mileage in the past I could easily get through 4 or 5 a year of the paper ones. Whether they improve performance hard to say really as the improvements will be very slight maybe 1 or 2 HP which could only be seen on a tester rather than felt.

Forgot to add that as for diesel, more air in should in theory help but if you have a turbo thats not going to make much difference as the as the filter is before the turbo which will volumise the air anyway. You could try a piggy back device for the ECU to improve horsepower. I used a Tunit one on my Fiat Punto 1.3 diesel and when dyno tested the fiat had 72.7HP out of the box and with the Tunit device fitted and set to max it had 91.5HP and you could definately tell when driving it.

in the site (pumaspeed.uk) it is mentioned that with the panel filter the car gains 3-5 bhp and with the cone filter 2-4 bhp.

is that possible?

i have installed the panel filter and i am afraid that if i install the cone filter i will lose power...

whats your opinion? :huh:

in the site (pumaspeed.uk) it is mentioned that with the panel filter the car gains 3-5 bhp and with the cone filter 2-4 bhp.

is that possible?

i have installed the panel filter and i am afraid that if i install the cone filter i will lose power...

whats your opinion? :huh:

I think the numbers are a bit optimistic but the panel filter will be better than the cone filter simply because the cone filter will pick up some warm air from the engine bay unless it is totally enclosed and has a cold air feed direct, but then that cancels out the sporty whinning noise from the cone filter which is what appeals to the driver. I would stick with the panel filter unless you really want a noisier engine.

Well this thread got me thinking so I did a search and have just recieved my Pipercross foam panel filter from Rude Racing who are very efficient I have to say. The part is PP1743 for the fiesta MK7 and fits all the petrol engines and possibly the 1.6 diesel as well as it uses the same airbox looking at the pictures in the handbook. No good for the 1.4 diesel as it uses a different air box. Cost including vat and postage a little over 41 pounds if anyone is interested. The Pipercross cleaning kit I think costs around 20 punds from Halfords but i already have a kit which I bought a few years back so could be a little more now.

The filter fits the airbox perfectly but I haven't tried it out yet driving although I am not expecting any dramatic improvements.

I will post again if anything dramatic does happen when I have driven around with it tomorrow. It will seem better anyway as the paper filter after about 5,000 miles was absolutely caked in dirt.

Well that’s a lot of cash for nothing more than maybe a bit of extra inlet noise and I would suggest unless it’s designed and made for a diesel engine don’t use it for such. :unsure:

A gain of 4bhp for £119? I can’t see you noticing any difference in power with a gain that small just a lighter wallet :lol:

Well I don't quite know what to make of this. Drove the car to work today with the pipercross filter in place and first thing I noticed was a much smoother delivery of power accross all the gears. I put this down to the rather dirty paper filter I removed choking the engine a little. However more surprising was the cars improved response on the journey home. There is part of the motorway on my joutney home that has a moderately steep climb over a mile or so and for the last 4 weeks I have been changing down to 4th to maintain 70MPH, 5th gear couldn't maintain the speed (I was begining to see 5th almost as an overdrive for cruising only). Not today though the car cruised up the hill without noticing in 5th so maybe the combination of a clean filter and who knows maybe a little extra HP has pepped things up a little bit. I have also noticed that after 4 weeks of getting MPG of between 39 and 43 MPG depending on the amount of traffic today even with Fridays extra traffic I got 45.6MPG for the journey I hope it keeps that up.

All that filter's gonna do on a Diesel is introduce heat-soak to the incoming air. That's not good!

Freeflowing air filters certianly do have their place in tuning diesels, but they are not the first place to start. Normally re-mapping, boost tweaking, cams, pump up-lobing and a few other tricks are employed either seperatly or in combination with the filter to get extra power.

This filter on its own will probably degrade performance and might reduce torque due to the air induction path modification. If you want a filter for a Diesel, I'd recommend trying a panel filter in the standard air box first.

Chris...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club