Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power train warning light

Ron Burgundys Moustache

Hi there,

My 55 Plate 2005 1.8 TDCi Focus (mk2?) had a new turbo hose fitted a month ago. It's the one the comes from the bottom of the inter cooler. 

It had a massive split in it. I have also had the top one replaced that goes into the the turbo at the rear of the engine. That had a split too. It's been running fine mostly (power train light flickers on and off rapidly sometimes at 75-80mph but it has done this since I got the car 3 years ago)  lately it's been idling rough after it gets warm, but now it starts rough too. I know it needs a service, 150k one so I think that's a big one  I have done 164k in it  naughty naughty  

all was well up until today, I went out in the car last night, no issues. But turning it on today the power train light comes on and stays on. It's in limp mode, it still idles rough. There is no whooshing sound or anything. 

Many local garage is busy for the next few weeks and I am loathe to take it to a dealer so they can point out all the problems. I just want to keep the car on the road until it's next MOT in September. 

I know now I have given you no information really, but would anyone like to put there finger in the air and throw a few ideas my way? Quite happy to change filters and stuff, but I don't want to spend too much now because of its high mileage....

thank you for reading!

reading the codes would help narrow this down somewhat

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Instrument_Cluster_Self-Diagnostic_Mode

this might not display the codes but its worth a shot and will cost you nothing.

an ELM327 device and forscan would be better and give you a much better idea of whats happening.

http://www.spanglefish.com/tunnelratelectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

http://forscan.org/

6 hours ago, Ron Burgundys Moustache said:

But turning it on today the power train light comes on and stays on. It's in limp mode, it still idles rough

There could be a million (well, lots anyway!) of causes. Like Darren says, you could do with some kind of diagnostic reader. The codes are there to help. A basic OBD2 scanner, like the U480 (about £10 off Ebay) will show most normal engine fault codes, but a system like Forscan is very much more powerful.

When was the fuel filter last changed? Clogged fuel filters can cause all sorts of problems. Getting the engine started after a fuel filter change can be hard, any air getting into the inlet side of the main pump will stop it starting. It needs a priming bulb or some way to fill all the lines, without getting any dirt into the pump side of the filter.

I am surprised by the flickering EML (engine management light, with the engine icon. I assume that is what you call the power train light.) I have not heard of that before. It should either be off, on, or flash in a regular manner. Very odd!

You can try the hidden menu which displays all real time sensor readings when driving including dtc code etc. Did the temperature dial swing right when it happened, how did the car sound?

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. 

Its not the eml that is flickering, it's the red cog. The internet says that's the power train warning light. 

It it started fine later that evening and haven't had an issue since. It does need a  good service though, I'm sure the filters need changing and stuff. 

I will look into getting the forscan thing as this car is getting on a bit now and I only want to do reactive maintenance now until she dies!

Its a 1.8 TDCI, that thing is a bit of a tank by all accounts but at your millage id be more concerned about the timing belt / chain otherwise reactive maintenance will mean a new engine :)

I had the timing belt done at 100k, what's the interval for them?

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundys Moustache said:

I had the timing belt done at 100k, what's the interval for them?

Ford recommend 100k, but most people, including Haynes, say 62k to 75k miles.

Opinions vary about the 1.8TDCI (lynx) engine. A lot of people don't like it, say its too old, or unresponsive, or noisy, or ....

I like it, I find it responsive & with plenty of power. No DPF, a little simpler and easier to maintain than some. Suits my requirements just fine. I don't know whether mine was ever re-mapped, if so it would be by the first owner, Devon & Cornwall Constabulary! But I find the Focus with this engine a pleasure to drive.

The light with a ! in a circle or cog, is the Engine Systems Warning light. It often signals communications errors between modules. Could be an early warning of the Instrument Cluster problem that plagues many 2005/2006 Foci (all engines). The Forscan system in the posts above would be £15 (laptop version) to £30 (Android / iOS version) well spent. I had this and fixed it for nothing, but it did need some careful soldering.

BTW Mine is over 150k now, and still going (though not at the moment, back wheels are off to service the brakes & keep the rust at bay!).

I have just done the fuel filter, and can give info on how I refilled the system if you want.

Peter.

On 30 August 2016 at 7:31 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

The light with a ! in a circle or cog, is the Engine Systems Warning light. It often signals communications errors between modules. Could be an early warning of the Instrument Cluster problem that plagues many 2005/2006 Foci (all engines). The Forscan system in the posts above would be £15 (laptop version) to £30 (Android / iOS version) well spent. I had this and fixed it for nothing, but it did need some careful soldering.

BTW Mine is over 150k now, and still going (though not at the moment, back wheels are off to service the brakes & keep the rust at bay!).

I have just done the fuel filter, and can give info on how I refilled the system if you want.

Peter.

Hi!

thanks for the reply, I have already had the cluster issue and got it replaced by ford with a reconditioned one, not had an issue with it since. 

I I also like the car, I find the engine is nice and smooth. Especially for motorway driving. Never thought it was unresponsive either. 

My car goes in for MOT on the 15th so may get them to change all the filters and oil at the same time. 

Thank you

• Like 1