Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake warning light on

cjg199

Hi,

live got a mk1.5 1.6 Ford Focus.

i was driving home tonight and noticed the brake warning light was on. It's constant and not flickering. There's no abs light. Just this one. However it's very faint.. Is it a common problem that there's a loose connection somewhere? If I put the handbrake on it comes on brightly as you'd expect.

ive checked the fluid once the engine was cold and there's plenty in there, ive also since taken it for a drive and stamped on the brakes and it stops fine.

The pads look okay, but not 100 sure. I've read online there's a wear indicator in the pads that could active the light?

thanks for any advice.

Chris

This is a known problem on the focus MK1.5 instrument cluster. During time the soldering connections and conducting tracks on the circuit board become corroded. The corrosion on the circuit board is conducting so if the circuit board is heavily corroded this can cause a short circuit between two or more tracks on the circuit board. This illuminates the brake and/or ABS warning light at a low intensity because there is still some resistance between the tracks.

If the circuit board is lightly corroded the corrosion can be removed with a small brush and alcohol. Afterwards the circuit board must be protected with a non conducting laquer to prevent the circuit board from corroding again. If the circuit board is heavily corroded the best option is to replace the instrument cluster.

• Like 1

Brilliant, thank you for your help! Can relax now haha

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club