Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot won't open from the lid button, will open using fob.

cragger89

Guys,

I've started a project on my 2006 Mondeo which is mainly revolving around audio, but because of that, I want to tackle some locking issues I have.

The most annoying is, the boot lid button does not work. It does open reliably from the key fob and very occasionally, it does open from the button on the boot lid itself. I have put the car into a test mode (Holding down the heated screen button whilst turning the ignition to position II) - pressing the boot lid button does emit a beep, so the switch is working. Note that when the ignition is on, the fob will not open the boot, so I have to stop the engine and take the key out.

Using the fob, all the doors unlock and lock/dead lock reliably. If I lock the doors before setting off on a journey from the drivers door, all the doors lock. However, on opening the drivers door, none of the other doors unlock like they used to. Please see the notes beneath, I wonder if it is a setting which needs to be re-done since I disconnected the door entirely?

The drivers door recently sporadically kept "unlocking" whilst driving, I disconnected and reconnected the cables between the door and the body of the car and that problem stopped. This also resolved a problem I had with getting the front driver side window to close, sometimes I had to open the door and close it to get the close button to take effect, clearly there was a connection problem.

Lastly, occasionally, my wife says I haven't unlocked the passenger door when I actually have the entire car unlocked. Very often I go round in a huff to open it and don't experience an issue and she goes red in the face - is it likely something has become dislodged?

Because I will soon be taking the front door cards off to fit new Speakers, I would like to replace any parts at the same time to minimise time spent having the car in bits. The boot lid is what I want to sort and I have read that it can be related to the driver door mechanism. It is !Removed! irritating, today when dropping the Mrs and her Mum off at the shops and going to pick her up, I had to stop and start the engine 5 times to open the boot with the keyfob, ARGH!

Is anyone able to say whether I should just replace the driver door mechanism or not?

I'm fairly sure I have narrowed it down enough to confirm this is what I should do, but would be beneficial for my sanity if anyone could offer advice.

No one?

The Speakers arrive this week so I've ordered a drivers door mechanism in case taking the existing one apart and cleaning it, then putting it all back together proves unfruitful.

I'll update the post with my findings in case someone else has the same symptoms on their Mondeo in the future.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2016 at 8:14 PM, cragger89 said:

It does open reliably from the key fob and very occasionally, it does open from the button on the boot lid itself. I have put the car into a test mode (Holding down the heated screen button whilst turning the ignition to position II) - pressing the boot lid button does emit a beep, so the switch is working.

Odd one. The switch is working at the BCM, the lock motor works, but the switch command to unlock is (mostly) being ignored.

I am afraid I can not really help. All I can say is that on the Focus, the tailgate is unrelated (electrically) to the doors, it is controlled directly from the BCM. Though what interlocks & logic occur inside the BCM is anybody's guess. Faults in the bus wiring between the door modules and the BCM could have all sorts of odd results. Forscan can examine door modules on most Fords, via the same bus.

Lack of response does not mean no-one is reading it, it is just that we (well me at least) are more confused than you!wacko.png

• 5 years later...

I’m an auto electrical.   2012 Mondeo. Hatch back would open with key fob but not through boot push button,  customer changed boot switch and no avail,  having checked wiring at switch found out put wire open circuit,  traced fault to green corroded plug behind left side panel in boot.  Cut wires, soldered and all ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1