Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gap between windscreen and scuttle

Baggi0

I was putting my new mist jets in earlier and noticed i have quite a large gap between my windscreen and scuttle.

It's worried me because i can see the edge of the windscreen and can see the slot in the scuttle where it's supposed to fit in so the rain and screen wash is going somewhere other than where it's supposed to.  The largest part of the gap is in the middle which i can get my fingers in and runs till its about a foot either side of the windscreen.

I've only had the car 2 week should i take it back and get them to fix it or is it nothing to worry about?

IMG_1514.JPG

6 minutes ago, Baggi0 said:

I was putting my new mist jets in earlier and noticed i have quite a large gap between my windscreen and scuttle.

It's worried me because i can see the edge of the windscreen and can see the gap in the scuttle where it's supposed to fit in so the rain and screen wash is going somewhere other than where it's supposed to.  The largest part of the gap is in the middle which i can get my fingers in and runs till its about a foot either side of the windscreen.

I've only had the car 2 week should i take it back and get them to fix it or is it nothing to worry about?

IMG_1514.JPG

Take it back and get them to fix it, the scuttle should be against the windscreen. You could try pressing the scuttle to see if it will slot itself back against the screen first though.

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Take it back and get them to fix it, the scuttle should be against the windscreen. You could try pressing the scuttle to see if it will slot itself back against the screen first though.

I tried to push it back on and it just springs back like something's stopping it.

I've looked at the side of the scuttle as well and that's not flush with the rubber seal so it looks like all the scuttles dropped and needs pushing back up.

It's typical i find this on a bank holiday so can't do anything till tuesday.

Do you have any idea where the water may be going as it is?   Do i need to cover it to save further damage?

• Like 1

Just now, Baggi0 said:

I tried to push it back on and it just springs back like something's stopping it.

I've looked at the side of the scuttle as well and that's not flush with the rubber seal so it looks like all the scuttles dropped and needs pushing back up.

It's typical i find this on a bank holiday so can't do anything till tuesday.

The sides of the scuttle will not be hard against the screen due to rubber inserts at either side of the windscreen but the centre portion of the scuttle (about 90%) should rest against the screen as there is a channel positioned on the windscreen that the scuttle fits into.

18 minutes ago, Russ said:

The sides of the scuttle will not be hard against the screen due to rubber inserts at either side of the windscreen but the centre portion of the scuttle (about 90%) should rest against the screen as there is a channel positioned on the windscreen that the scuttle fits into.

This is what i meant about the scuttle dropping at the sides,  it's the same on the other side as well.

If it wasn't under warranty id have a go myself at fixing it but they will probably put a new rubber seal in if it has one.

Do they have rubber seals in the channel?  if not i may do it myself tomorrow and save the hassle of waiting for them.  if its an easy job that is :smile:

IMG_1517.JPG

I've got a 2008 focus (mk2 facelift) and I'm assuming your windscreen will have a similar piece to lock the scuttle against the screen, I'll nip out shortly and look at our sons as he has a fiesta. 

Update: Having looked at at our sons it looks like your scuttle might need removed and repositioning in its proper place (which is easy to do) but as its under warranty I'd take it back to the garage.

3 hours ago, Russ said:

I've got a 2008 focus (mk2 facelift) and I'm assuming your windscreen will have a similar piece to lock the scuttle against the screen, I'll nip out shortly and look at our sons as he has a fiesta. 

Update: Having looked at at our sons it looks like your scuttle might need removed and repositioning in its proper place (which is easy to do) but as its under warranty I'd take it back to the garage.

Thanks for taking the time out to check.

I'll ring them on Tuesday and get it booked in :thumbsup:

The scuttle is the same as mine on the lower edge and has gradually got wider over the years! Never gave it a thought until now about were the water is going! Maybe I should think about sorting it out :blush:

Anyone removed the plastic part ? I take it both wiper arms have got to be removed ?

004.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2016 at 5:34 PM, Ian Lanc said:

The scuttle is the same as mine on the lower edge and has gradually got wider over the years! Never gave it a thought until now about were the water is going! Maybe I should think about sorting it out :blush:

Anyone removed the plastic part ? I take it both wiper arms have got to be removed ?

004.JPG

Sorry mate i didn't see this.

I got mine fixed by the dealer and they said its only cosmetic so i wouldn't worry.

They said the water runs off the windscreen and goes behind the scuttle (between the gap) anyway into a channel and drains on both sides of the wheel arch.

If you do want to remove it and push it back in you take the wipers off and remove the clips that you see on the scuttle panel when the bonnets open.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

National windscreens fitted a new windscreen to my focus 2018 st line and the scuttle seal is not flush to the windscreen

can this be fixed?

they say they will have to put another windscreen in as the seal comes with the windscreen ??

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same thing when i had a windscreen fitted too on a 6 month old ST-LINE X. Non original part fitted by windscreen company. Complained so they fitted an original ford windscreen problem solved. Better fit!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club