Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Massively irritating Ford Focus Issue

muckerz85

Hey guys! 

I've got a 55 plate Focus Titanium 2.0... had it for about 6 years now.
Its been a cracking car until about 18 months ago when it developed a weird issue.
(Not bothered me too much as I had a midlife crises and bought a convertible and a bike! but I'm done with that for now!) 

Sometimes, I'll come to start the car and the immobiliser light flashes its !Removed! off and the car point blank refuses to turn over. 
Sometimes you can try again straight away and it will start, other times you can sit there for an hour trying until it eventually starts.

I'm also seeing faults coming up on the dash such as 'speed limited mode', 'steering assist failure' and 'engine systems fault'.

None of these errors are factual... I mean when it says speed limited mode, its clearly not in speed limited mode etc.

I've noticed that these issues are less likely to happen on a hot day.
I've also noticed that sometimes shaking the car (ie physically rocking the !Removed! out of it for 5-10 seconds) will cause it to start.

A few people have suggested its likely to be either a bad/loose connection somewhere, or a bad earth.

Has anyone see these issues before?

Can anyone give me a good place to start troubleshooting this?

I have already replaced the battery (twice), and I have also removed the main earth from the battery, cleaned it up etc and whacked that back on.
No difference :(

Thanks in advance for any help chaps! :)

Hello and welcome muckerz85

The key to starting to resolve the problems are the codes. You should get them read correctly. This should give you a good starting point to work from.

1 hour ago, muckerz85 said:

None of these errors are factual.

Unfortunately they are. It does not just stick up random codes for the hell of it :tongue:

So either take it to a ford garage who can read the codes and explain them to you. Or you could buy the kit to do so your self. There is a wealth of info on here regarding fault codes. So lets start here.

Then have a look here to see if any of the fault codes your getting are listed

Also a definitive fault code list here http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/wds2000_bestanden/Ford diagnostic trouble codes.htm?utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals

Edited by Joss max
new link

I did have a friend stick a code reader on it a while back... it just came up "Unknown Error Code", which was about as helpful as a trap door in a submarine.

9 hours ago, muckerz85 said:

Sometimes, I'll come to start the car and the immobiliser light flashes its !Removed! off and the car point blank refuses to turn over. 
Sometimes you can try again straight away and it will start, other times you can sit there for an hour trying until it eventually starts.

I'm also seeing faults coming up on the dash such as 'speed limited mode', 'steering assist failure' and 'engine systems fault'.

Absolutely classic Focus 2005/2006 Instrument Cluster problem, I would say to at least 85% certainty.

Basically the main communications bus linking all the module together fails, bad solder joint in the IC usually. Then all sorts of lights come on, Immobiliser, odometer says --.-- or something like that.

Tapping the fascia around the IC might make it better, or worse.

I had this & fixed it. If it is the IC, they can be repaired, usually for under £100. I just used a soldering iron.

See: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

Or post here for more info.

Peter.