Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

focus focus rear brake caliper rewind direction ?

luke o

Hi

could anyone confirm the direction to rewind the brake caliper pistons back . The haynes book says clockwise but i have seen forums contradicting this. The car is 2008 ford focus mk2.

Thanks

9 hours ago, luke o said:

The haynes book says clockwise but i have seen forums contradicting this.

Both sides clockwise, like a normal bolt. You need to press inwards quite firmly, sometimes partially activating the handbrake pawl helps the internal nut to grip.

Just done it todaybiggrin.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou  , did you use caliper tool or pliers ?

30 minutes ago, luke o said:

did you use caliper tool or pliers ?

I have made my own caliper tool, it is just a little steel plate with two M4 Bolts that engage with the piston holes, and a central M6 hex head bolt that I can fit a socket & ratchet driver to. Using this I can turn the piston quite easily while giving a good inward pressure. (dark now, but can do a photo tomorrow if you want.)

I tried pliers and screwdrivers a year ago, it did not work well, with danger of damaging the piston holes and the seal. Hence the tool.

The bought tools usually have a long thread that can force the piston in. I am a bit cautious of these, it could be that being over enthusiastic with one of these might lead to the "master cylinder seal flipping" problem that Haynes warns about.

I am also cautious about clamping high pressure hydraulic hoses. I know it is done all the time, and I have done it, but I prefer to avoid it if possible. I now have some hose unions that I can use as blanking plugs if I need to remove a caliper and block the pipe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for this , i managed to replace my pads at the weekend ok but have noticed the pads on both sides of the car are only braking on half of the disc. I lubed everything up but did notice when i put the guide pin bolts back in that they were stiff to push back in . I am going to take them out again at the weekend and re grease . Any ideas would be grateful. Oh if you look at the outer pads its as if there is a tiny gap less than 0.25 mm between the pad and the disc where the pad isnt quite contacting the disc.I only noticed because it had been raining and the rust want completely cleared from the disc .Or do you think this will bed in ?

Thanks for getting back to me

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, luke o said:

the pads on both sides of the car are only braking on half of the disc. I lubed everything up but did notice when i put the guide pin bolts back in that they were stiff to push back in . I am going to take them out again at the weekend and re grease .

When you say half the disk, do you mean just one side, or half radially?

If it is braking mostly on one side, then it may be the pins sticking, as you suspect. Ensure the pins are clean & not corroded (mine seem to be stainless steel, all my earlier cars had steel ones). Grease well with a silicone grease, push the pins through the caliper, twist & remove, a few times, removing any gunk that comes out.

If the rubber pin seals are cracked & stiff, or are soft & sticky, they should be replaced. (oil based grease can make the rubber soft.) You can get seal kits for about £20 for an axle set.

The one I got was: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261391977598 . (Your car may be different)

Another cause of one sided braking is a step or roughness in the support track that locates the ends of the pads. With the caliper removed, check that the pads slide easily in & out along the support tracks.

If there is a problem radially, then rust on the disk is likely. This can look silver & shiny where it has been polished, but easily flakes off with a file. It tends to creep into the braking area from the edges, given half a chance. I have had this quite often, due to irregular use of the car.

Ok thanks again i am going to have a good look at the weekend.;)

• Like 1