Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford C Max TDCi Injector Failure

pricey71

My 2008 Ford C Max 1.8TDCi was recovered by AA 12 months ago at 38K mileage, with Injector 4 failure.

Local Ford workshop replaced Injector 3, and all four seals. Injector 4 failed again three weeks ago and was replaced by Renault workshop in France.

Car continues to cut to limp mode with 'Engine Malfunction', Ford workshop now recommending other two Injector valve replacements based on diagnostics.

Is it likely that when one Injector fails, the other three will fail in quick succession?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

On 30/08/2016 at 2:34 PM, pricey71 said:

My 2008 Ford C Max 1.8TDCi was recovered by AA 12 months ago at 38K mileage, with Injector 4 failure.

Local Ford workshop replaced Injector 3, and all four seals. Injector 4 failed again three weeks ago and was replaced by Renault workshop in France.

Car continues to cut to limp mode with 'Engine Malfunction', Ford workshop now recommending other two Injector valve replacements based on diagnostics.

Is it likely that when one Injector fails, the other three will fail in quick succession?

Thanks.

On 30/08/2016 at 2:34 PM, pricey71 said:

I have had to have all four injectors replaced over the course of 12 months - total cost of injector related repair work - £3020.

The car has cut to limp mode numerous times over the last 12 months, as each injector fails in succession, usually during motorway driving, forcing myself, my wife and our children onto the hard shoulder to wait for breakdown recovery - an extremely dangerous place to be with heavy, fast moving traffic literally metres away.

The injectors that were removed, I inspected and photographed, and have a serial number that end in 3,

they are from a faulty batch of injectors that were included in Ford vehicles at manufacture stage.

Ford were aware of these faulty injectors built into their vehicles as they released a TSB technical service bulletin in May 2012 detailing the problem.

I have suffered financially with the huge repair costs, and my family have been put at considerable risk during the numerous breakdowns caused by these faulty injectors.

Ford Customer Care continually issue their automated replies - car is out of warranty, therefore its your problem, not ours.

Despite the fact that we were sold a car by a Ford dealer that was inherently faulty and not fit for purpose.

Awful experience. I'll never buy a Ford again.

DSC07231.JPG

DSC07232.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

Sound advice from Tdci-Peter on the Ford Owners Forum,

www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/62816-ford-inj...1

however in my experience I always felt like there wasn't a problem with the mechanics and the workings of the injectors, it was more like communication between the sensors and the injectors - after cutting to limp mode, and restarting the engine, the car would drive for 500 yards sometimes, other times it would drive for 500 miles before cutting to limp mode again.

Before cutting to limp mode, the engine would stutter, as if there was an air lock in the system, or the sensors were not fueling the injectors correctly. There was no pattern to when the malfunction would occur, we've had it in slow moving traffic, from start up, after long distance driving, etc. but more often it would be in the summer months with warmer air temps, on the motorway, accelerating from 4th to 5th, on an incline.

The AA and RAC recovery technicians have always questioned the electronics and circuitry because the mechanics of the running engine look and sound good.

Ford workshop have always insisted on replacing the injectors based on their diagnostics.

If this was a fault due to wear / age I think i'd be able to accept being out of pocket by £3k, but this is from an inherent problem from when car was manufactured.

We bought the car from a Ford dealer, with a full history in the service book.

At no point have Ford customer care / Ford dealer / Ford workshop told us about the faulty injector batch, or suggested we have all four replaced at the same time, which would have made more sense financially, and mechanically for the engine running efficiency.

IMG_2249.JPG

sound advice from iantt on the FOC

however, my C-Max started its engine malfunctions and cutting to limp mode at only 35K mileage! The first injector was replaced at 38K, the other three replaced at 47K miles.

I cant believe this is the expectation of modern diesel engines from Ford, or peugeot, renault, citroen, landrover, mini, etc.

More likely to be caused from faulty parts at manufacture as the info on this thread suggests.

more advice and info from iantt and JW1982 on the FOC

Interesting points, however in our case BP Ultimate diesel as recommended by Ford, or Shell V-Power while driving on the continent, didn’t save the injectors in my C-Max from their eventual need for replacement, after only 38K mileage.

I agree with JW1982 point on the fuel injector performance probably maybe required just a software update, in an earlier post I mentioned I felt there was a problem with the communication between the electronics and sensors, and the mechanics of the injectors, as if the injectors weren’t being fuelled correctly.

I explained this at the workshop, however Trust Ford (-and Renault, after breakdown in France) just wanted to replace the injectors based on their diagnostics.

Anyway, I’ve got three newly re-conditioned injectors from Trust Ford, and one from Renault, a big hole in my pocket, and the car runs fine now. Which, for me substantiates the points made in the initial post regarding the batch of faulty injectors.

This won’t be the reason i’ll be leaving Ford though, the whole Ford package from manufacture to dealer, workshop to customer services has been truly awful in my experience.

Poor quality manufacturing and build, Ford Customer ‘Care’ with their automated responses and refusal to help or advise their customers who have experienced problems, even after being stranded on a motorway hard shoulder with my children for the 8th time because of their faulty product.

To the Ford dealer who was more interested in selling financial packages and gap insurances etc etc, rather than providing us with useful and correct information about the car.

Bad information, wrong information, withheld information at sale and repair, to the ‘Trust’ Ford workshop whose best piece of advice was ‘..don’t believe everything you read on the internet’, you own a diesel what do you expect, here’s another invoice for £700….. and charging for work that was under warranty from previous repairs…!!! I’m still waiting for the promised refund cheque 21 days later.

The car went into Trust Ford for a full tech diagnostics and electrical investigation twice, on the second occasion it was in for a week, but the workshop couldn’t get the fault to come back, despite a 150 mile test drive (-which they offered to replace the used fuel with diesel from Sainsburys). So they returned the car to me.. 10 miles along the North Circular - BANG - engine malfunction, again…… stranded on the North Circular with trucks etc. flying past at 50++

Over 12 months, the engine cut to limp mode multiple times in fast moving traffic on the M25, M11, M5, A12, the E15 Paris Gyratory, etc etc. the absolute worst places to be stranded with a young family, yet Ford Customer ‘Care' continued to issue their automated responses regarding our concerns - cars out of warranty, therefore its not our problem.

so Trading Standards and Sale Of Goods Act next then…

and back to original post and thread, here’s the link to the TSB 27/2012 if you need it, and thanks pezza371887 and all the other kind people who take time out to offer advice and info on this forum

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/61590-2008-focus-tsb/#comment-408619

• 2 years later...

I've had to replace all four fuel injectors over the last 18 months. Very frustrating consider we have an Energi model and at least half of the miles on the car are all electric.