Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Diesel loss power with P0299 fault code

tonyb61

My son's focus Mk2 2005 with 1.6 diesel engine is not running at normal power. On the motorway at 70 it has almost no power left to accelerate, so it struggles to go up small hills or inclines. I know the engine is not that great but it doesn't feel right. We purchased an odbc reader and found 2 error codes P0299 and P138B. The first relates to the turbo running under pressure and the second something to do with the glow plug module. The turbo code sounds like it may explain the loss of power. Does anyone have any ideas for obvious things to look at apart from a possible dead turbo ??

Thanks

3 hours ago, tonyb61 said:

P0299 and P138B. The first relates to the turbo running under pressure and the second something to do with the glow plug module.

Hi,

I suspect both codes can cause reduced power operation. Other people have had glow plug problems with this DV6 engine that did that. The glow plugs can be used as part of the emissions control system, as well as for starting.

On earlier DV6s, there is just a voltage monitoring signal from the glowplug supply point, via fuse F28 (10A) in the engine fuse box, to the pcm. A blown fuse or bad connection in this line would cause this DTC. The glow plug relay (R12) and main (F6, 60A) glowplug fuse are also suspects.

Later DV6s either had individual current monitoring in the supply to each plug in a glow pug control module, or can monitor current drawn form the battery, but for 2005, I doubt if this is the case.

Low turbo boost could be the MAP sensor, or the Turbo vane control solenoid. These items should be investigated & eliminated before suspecting the turbo!

Any help?

Peter.

Turbo under boost, either a boost leak or VNT vanes issue in the turbo.

Either way you shoudl have smoke under acceleration.

Check all inter-cooler hoses for any leaks even the smallest leak can cause loss of boost pressure, if they all check out fine then it is most likely the VNT vanes (assuming it's a 110bhp) are coked up and not moving or the actuator is not working. The 90bhp only has a vacuum operated waste-gate not VNT so generally is less troublesome.

That is the most likely culprit in my opinion.

How many miles has the car done?

Has it got a DPF?

Although the glow plugs can cause limp home mode so if it is the glow plugs/module then I would expect the reduced power with the red light next to the milometer lit up. I would not expect smoke if it was in limp home mode, so that could be a big clue, but then again i would not really expect under boost code either if it was just glow plugs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, we'll have to look at your suggestions...

At least there is some hope the turbo might be ok ! 

We do not have any warning lights indicating a limp home mode is in operation.

14 minutes ago, tonyb61 said:

At least there is some hope the turbo might be ok ! 

We do not have any warning lights indicating a limp home mode is in operation.

If the light was not on when you found the error codes, then it is likely they had only happened once. With most DTCs it takes two occurrences to light the EML. If it was not in "limp mode", then turbo vane/wastegate actuator fault is the most likely cause of reduced power.

The turbo itself usually fails more noticeably, with smoke & oil. If the inlet hose can be removed, it should be possible to gently turn the rotor. If it is stuck, or rather stiff, then the turbo bearing has gone. If it turns ok, then the actuator is the most likely cause.

Simon beat me to it with the leaking hoses note. I did remember it after doing the reply, but he had got there first by the time I looked! That is a common cause of turbo / power loss problems.

• Like 1

Who needs a Ford garage when there are resident experts like tdci-peter and simcor on hand dispensing expert technical advice on a wide range of Focus problems!

I think tdci -peter should write a Haynes style manual, his technical advice is spot on and never cease to amaze me on his diagnostic wizardry and remedies. Put me down for a copy.

Great technical forum just the ticket for old codgers brought up on steam technolgy, side valve Austin Sevens and Morris Minors where the most technical thing was the ignition switch. Bet Henry Ford would think OBD was black magic and best left to the clergy. Keep up the good work and my Focus going!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying...

On 9/3/2016 at 8:00 PM, simcor said:

Turbo under boost, either a boost leak or VNT vanes issue in the turbo.

Either way you shoudl have smoke under acceleration.

Check all inter-cooler hoses for any leaks even the smallest leak can cause loss of boost pressure, if they all check out fine then it is most likely the VNT vanes (assuming it's a 110bhp) are coked up and not moving or the actuator is not working. The 90bhp only has a vacuum operated waste-gate not VNT so generally is less troublesome.

That is the most likely culprit in my opinion.

How many miles has the car done?

Has it got a DPF?

Although the glow plugs can cause limp home mode so if it is the glow plugs/module then I would expect the reduced power with the red light next to the milometer lit up. I would not expect smoke if it was in limp home mode, so that could be a big clue, but then again i would not really expect under boost code either if it was just glow plugs.

No DPF, apparently this was an early model without one. and the car has done 130k so quite mature !

We think it was the lower power diesel not the 110bhp version.

I'm waiting for an opportunity to have a look at the intercooler hoses and the waste gate actuator 

Thanks

If it's the 90bhp then no it won't have a dpf. Yes it will have just a wastegate controlled by an actuator then. Check the wastegate actuator is working properly and check all hoses especially the left hand side inter cooler hose as looking at the engine, this cracks on the back and isn't easy to spot with a feel around it.

On 9/18/2016 at 7:40 PM, simcor said:

If it's the 90bhp then no it won't have a dpf. Yes it will have just a wastegate controlled by an actuator then. Check the wastegate actuator is working properly and check all hoses especially the left hand side inter cooler hose as looking at the engine, this cracks on the back and isn't easy to spot with a feel around it.

Hi , we finally had some time to look under the bonnet. I couldn't see any splits in the hoses so far but I really need to get the cover off underneath the car to have a better look. I removed the inlet air hose to the turbo and it seems to spinning reasonably freely, but not lots of movement on the shaft. I also removed the heat shields so I could see the vacuum valve (waste gate actuator?) driving the turbo. When my son was revving the engine there was no movement of the actuator/control linkage from the vacuum valve to the turbo control, is that to be expected ? If not I assume the vacuum driven actuator may be faulty or the vacuum hose is faulty...

I did check that I could move it manually....

Regards

Tony

If the wastegate or vnt actuator moves freely by hand then it does seem to be moving OK.

It should be in one position with the engine off, when starting it should move to the opposite position. Can't remember off hand if the actuator pulls down or pushes up.

It should then alter it's position at different times dependant upon road speed engine load and speed, unlikely to move whilst stationary revving the engine.

There is a vacuum regulator at the back of the engine that controls the vacuum pressure for it that can be a common problem.

Best way to check it would be diagnostics on run and seeing if the percentage alters accordingly.

If it is 90 bhp then it will just have a wastegate and actuator, if 110bhp then it will have a VNT turbo with actuator.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club