Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I but Petrol or diesel? 2 litre engines?

yabby4749

Hi, does anyone have any experience with the mpg on the 2litre petrol mondeos? 57 reg/facelift preferably.

I would prefer a diesel for the mpg but I only drive up to 4k miles a year, maybe 6k another year, it varies. I rarely do motorway trips, maybe once a week.  Idrive to work on the motorway too but it isn't far (10minutes).

Thanks!

At those miles stick with petrol, cheaper to buy and service so in the long run you won't see the saving that diesel mpg will give, also you may get DPF problems due to low use

• Like 1

Agree with Pragmatix.  You need to be doing a much higher mileage to justify a diesel engine. Factor in that diesels have been discredited and new diesel sales are falling it becomes a no-brainer.

The money and common sense says take the petrol.

A diesel gives different driving experience, so don't discount them if the sums stack up.

For that mileage it has to be petrol. I am averaging 34mpg in mine over past 7 days on 8 mile trips on b roads plus local roads, get 42 on motorway and A roads. the only downside is down to about 26mpg on the often 3 mile round trips, only expenditure over past 3 years brake caliper for Mot.

23 hours ago, yabby4749 said:

I would prefer a diesel for the mpg but I only drive up to 4k miles a year,

If you can get a non-DPF diesel, (2007 it may be possible, eg 1.8TDCI)), then go for that.

(But if it is a 2008 vintage 1.8TDCI, make sure it has the injectors upgraded, there was a really duff batch then!)

Otherwise go petrol. Too much hassle for the mileage with a DPF.

• Like 1

Yes 2,0 litre petrol Titanium estate, built built dec 2009, reg 2010, bought about 31/2 yrs ago ex fleet with full service history for £4400 at 127k, now on 134k, although not quite needed, fitted tyres, discs and pads alround because wanted clean start, uses no oil and and still drives solid, only cost new brake caliper for last but one Mot, although don't think it was actually replaced, the 2.oltr can move when required and is no slouch, I am more than pleased with it.and fuel consumption is better than my wifes last 1.6ltr  11 reg focus./

Managed to find the figures for a fuel check I did last Sunday on mainly 4mpg mainly urban roads upto 60mph with light traffic, did this with MPG set to zero at start.

Outbound: 7.3 miles  reading 65.4 mpg at destination

Inbound: 7.3 miles reading 39.6 at home, including Boot to overtake sunday driver and 1/2 minute at traffic lights.

the reason for high mpg outbound being due to fact I live in highest point of Leicestershire and consequently outbound journey mainly downhill, The figures are all from the cars readings which in my experience I find pretty accurate.

I used to do trips from Leics to basingstoke which was nearly all motorway/Dual carriageway  and always achieved about 42mpg with pretty fast driving.

• 1 month later...

Diesels much better for higher mileage trips. Petrol best for your use, yabby.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club