Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hub Nut Broken

ssauk

Daughter has a 52 plate 1.3 KA as her first car.

After welding the floors, sills and chassis, I repaired a leaking rear brake pipe. The bleed nipples have broken on the rear hub, so I decided to remove the hub to get to the brake cylinders to overhaul them, only to find one of the hub nuts has been previously removed and the locking lugs have all been broken off, leaving three thin nuts and the base nut/flange on the washer.The three thin nuts have come off, but the bottom nut/flange is still in place and will nit move. I have tried to remove it with a 27mm socket, but it will not catch on the nut, tried a box spanner same problem, as a last resort tried impact socket, but still no joy.

Can anyone advise on how to remove this or any tool that may remove it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Daz C

Heat it with a blowtorch Edd China style and use an easy-grip (gator) socket extension - either that or cut it off or use a nut splitter but from what i remember its in a recessed socket so you wont be able to get those in? so the only bet is the easy-grip gator socket or a grip-tite socket - make sure you heat the nut though as the easy-grip if its cheap will just shatter the outer case if the nut is really tight and you put too much pressure on the internal pins.

Grip-tites are also good but expensive.

Its occasions like these when these one off tools become essential.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuin-Universal-Socket-Grip-Ratchet-Wrench-Power-Drill-Adapter-Set-7-19mm-BI343/131874844174?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3D50c6b1319ab44b368f6f8b018046f5b5%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRIP-TITE-USA-7-Pce-3-8-Dr-Socket-Set-Unique-For-Rounded-Nut-Bolt-10-18mm-00112-/391082654951?hash=item5b0e57bce7:g:7V0AAOSwBLlVAuhr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRWIN-5-Pce-EXPANSION-Damaged-Rounded-Bolt-Grip-Nut-Remover-Set-8-19mm-10504635-/390351171705?hash=item5ae2be3079:g:2C8AAOSwoQ1TnwzO

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replies, not working on it this weekend due to problems with my shoulder.

Should be able to look at it next weekend, so will post a pic.

Tried the gator grip sockets, but what is left of the hub nut is only about 1mm thick, so the socket will not go flush to it, have found out some old long nose grips, so will try heating nut and see if the grips work.

Thanks for replies most helpful, will keep you informed.

Cheers

Daz

1mm wow why not just get a mini cold chisel out and split it.

Heating it and using a pair of thin nosed pliers or thin-nosed mole grips (my favourite tool) might also work to unscrew it.

• 1 month later...

or grinding it away with dremmel type tool?

Finally got it off, put heat on it a couple of times with wd40, then managed to get someone to help turn socket with bar on it while I put pressure on socket towards hub.

Tried chisel, long nose pliers, thought about dremel, but its attached to a thick washer and would have taken ages to get through.

Thanks for suggestions, just relieved it came off.2016-10-02 15.51.57.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got mine off using a 30mm socket. No, I hadn't got one either so off to B & Q. A whopping £1.47 spent on the socket. I want to know why on earth Ford used this ridiculous set up of several smaller nuts. Why not one proper sized one? I replaced the bearings whilst I was in there and the new nuts were exactly the same as the old ones... well weird