Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A few questions...

The symposer system on the mk3.5 ST is natural sound played through the Speakers not artificial like on some cars.

Hill assist is very useful for short stops on hills where you have to creep up in fits and starts due to slow moving traffic.

It saves having to keep banging the handbrake on hard every couple of seconds.

It also makes hill starts on very steep hills far easier.

(It also works in reverse too).

The trick is knowing what is steep enough to engage the assist as getting it wrong can cause a few brown trouser moments.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Hill assist is very useful for short stops on hills where you have to creep up in firs and starts due to dlow moving traffic

Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you there. You just need to let the gap widen enough before moving forward.

42 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

It also makes hill starts on very steep hills far easier

That's a skill that can easily be learned and if you're using the handbrake correctly the hill assist won't activate anyway.

Sorry, you won't convince me. I think people should take pride in learning the skills to drive well and these gimmicks just make them lazy.

It's the same as any other technology, ABS, power steering. Just there to make life easier.

I'm quite capable of using handbrake on hills and hill start. I do both, depending on how long I'll be stationary, more than a couple of secs I'll use the handbrake.

• Like 1

Being an advanced response trained driver I like to consider myself of a reasonable driving standard.

I find hill assist useful to ME and am happy to use it.

If people don't like it or don't trust that thar 'magic' then turn it off and forget it is fitted.

Simples.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It's the same as any other technology, ABS, power steering. Just there to make life easier.

I wouldn't say it's quite the same. While its true that ABS means drivers don't have to learn cadence braking I would maintain this is a much more difficult skill to master than hill starts with a handbrake. ABS is definitely a safety feature along with ESP but I wouldn't put hill assist in that category. As for power steering that doesn't replace any skills but allows designers to optimise the steering geometry without making life difficult for the driver.

My point was just that's it's a tech to make life easier. As Clive says, it can be turned off for those who don't like it.

• Like 1

Handbrake for hill starts...pfft, buy a diesel and it's all done on the clutch. :laugh:  

I must admit I don't agree about it making people lazy, I'd like to think/hope it gives people more time and focus on the road rather than worrying if they're going to stall etc.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club