Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo kicking in @ 2500rpm instead of 1700rpm

amigadude

1.4TDCI 04 Fusion

I had a whistle @ 3000rpm so I removed the air intake all the way to the turbo, inspected all the pipe work for cracks then refitted...

good news the whistle is gone...

bad news turbo now feels like it kicks in @ ~2500rpm instead of 1700rpm like it did before stripping & refitting... could it be damage to the air flow meter? seems like the only thing I could of accidentally knocked/dirtied...

MAF or Turbo Sensor might be dirty or damaged - worth giving them a look at and a quick clean for good measure.

• Like 1

I cleaned the MAF with electrical contact cleaner as I couldn't find MAF cleaner anywhere... seems a little bit better...

• 2 weeks later...

I re-seated the vacuum line on the wastegate seems to be back to normal now... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

still not kicking in early enough I think... anywayz here's what the boost is up to...

Daft question, but where do you have the boost gauge fitted to? Maybe a prob with it? 

• Like 1

I T'd off of the waste gate actuator line. What power the engine is giving is at about 2500RPM same as before I fitted the boost gauge.20161103_140445.jpg

• 7 months later...

Turns out the MAF was faulty, broke the gauge trying to get rid of/dim the 12 megawatt blue LED so I can't check when the boost kicks it but...

Set off to drop the wife at work and almost got back-ended due to the lack of acceleration, always feels worse on cold days but it really felt like I was towing a double decker bus that day... so when I dropped her off I popped the hood and disconnected the MAF... and proceeded to leave half the front tyres on the road outside my wife's workplace... I guess I'd got used to giving it a good kick to try and get her rolling... 

Quick visit to scrapyard and £25 for MAF and the pipe between the MAF and the turbo (parts Ford wanted about £400 for) and she's back to accelerating like a 1.4TDCI rather than an asthmatic snail towing a house brick...

Had to get the parts off a 1.4 citroen C3 as they'd all been robbed off the Fords and peugeots with the same engine.

Had to remove the battery for a while to reset the engine warning light from running without a MAF.