Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 steering knock

Elpanda82

Hi all

My 2012 Zetec S has developed a knocking from the steering wheel. Whenever I move the wheel from one side to another you can here the knock. Also while driving every time I hit a bump there's the knock and I can feel it through the steering wheel.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

steering column shaft probably needs greasing, was quite common on older ones, still the same shaft so assume it could be the same issue

well , without feeling it, im assuming this could be the issue, i may be wrong,

as for this issue it takes all of 5 mins to grease shaft. you ùndo the lower pinchbolt at bottom of column, and slide the shaft off rack pinion, carefull making sure steering wheel doesnt move slide shaft down exposing the splines, give splines a good grease then slide lowershaft up and down a few times to work grease in. refit shaft back in rack pinion , refit bolt and tighten.

• Like 1

I have similar problem with mine, 2010 1.4 tdci van, but mine squeaks when turning right? And only turning right could this possibly be a related issues? Thanks

11 hours ago, S7REE7Y said:

I have similar problem with mine, 2010 1.4 tdci van, but mine squeaks when turning right? And only turning right could this possibly be a related issues? Thanks

Ford spray the grease down the shafts. Don't use wd40. 

Cheers ianTT I'll give that a go

4 hours ago, 1.6 tdci zetec s said:

Ford spray the grease down the shafts. Don't use wd40. 

What about wd40 spray grease??

I would not. Look into the type of spray grease ford use for this issue. I'll also look intoit as well, when I do find out what it's called I'll post it on here for you. 

Managed to fix mine today. Only took 30mins if that.

Removed the whole shaft packed it with proper grease, then reinstalled. All seems to be working fine. 

Decided against the wd40 didn't seem thick enough. 

Yep no knocking noise. 

I did notice the top bolt wasn't as tight so could have just been that, but I greased it up just to be on the safe side. 

I'm a at these things but really was easy fix. 

Sounds just like what I had on our Fiesta, was advised to unbolt everything too and re-grease, decided not to do that got some old blankets and covered the carpet & pedals, then blasted the hell out of the two joints with spray grease whilst steering left & right, noise went away within minutes, wiped off excess grease and job done.

• 3 years later...

Hi I have a 2010 mk7 fiesta and the steering is not recentering I have changed a lot of parts including the rack and is exactly the same could this be a failing steering coloumn I don't want to replace it if it's not goi g to be the issue so can a bad coloumn cause it to not recentre what causes it to pull to the right thanks 

12 hours ago, Andycclarke said:

Hi I have a 2010 mk7 fiesta and the steering is not recentering I have changed a lot of parts including the rack 

I take after changing the parts, you've gone and had the car fully checked & tracked at a decent tyre garage who knows what they are doing ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club