Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Mondeo V6 Ghia X and V6 Zetec S

The Archaeologist

Hi guys,

I have just returned to Ford ownership after many years (last new Ford was in 1990 and put me off for 26 years!) and I have purchased three cars in two weeks....don't worry, for the grand sum of £1,525.  I have a Mondeo Mk3 2.5 V6 Ghia X, and a V6 Zetec S, and a Focus 2.0 Ghia.  The Focus has had a recent service, so no issues there, however I wish to service the two Mondeo's as their last visit to the garage was probably some considerable time ago!  I have a few questions for you, and I am hoping that you have some invaluable advice for me, which I am sure you have.  I am assuming the V6 is chain-driven, so no cam belt issues.  I know the oil should be 5/30 fully synthetic, but what is the best oil you would recommend?  With regard to the plugs (which I will change now, as the Zetec S has done 93k and the Ghia X 110k) NGK, Denso, Bosch?  Not sure.  What would you recommend?  I will obviously take a look at the brakes on both cars, although the Zetec S appears to have had new discs and pads not too long ago.  I am going to assume that both cars will need a major service, so with the exception of air and fuel filters is there anything specific to this engine that I should address now?  I also intend to change the transmission fluid soon (manual box in the Ghia X, and auto in the Zetec S), so any guidance on the best transmission fluid for each? I don't do a great many miles per year (maybe 5k in each car) but I want to use the best service parts I can to prolong the life of what is probably a pretty bullet-proof engine anyway.  Cheers guys, any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

IMG_8462.jpg

IMG_8513.jpg

IMG_8454.jpg

• Like 2

I've been reading various car sites as I've been looking to maybe get a second car for some duties I'm not prepared to put pride and joy ghia x Hatch through...ie mainly diy and garden rubbish /household junk for the tip(slowly gutting and redoing interior of my house...biggish house biggish garden) so lots of trips to B&Q and furniture land and also trips to the tip....mainly trips to tip hahahaha...

I've had a mk3 estate in the past...this is more than up to the job absolutely humongous load carrying ability's as you get roof rails as well ..if my old mk3 estate had been the 2.5 v6 instead of the 2.0 4 pot petrol I would not of parted with it...

Nice motors the mk3...you get a hell of a lot of motor for your money, there's plenty of them so you can take your time picking the right one out. alot of unloved abused and molested mondeos out there... along with the well looked after,mature owner not ragged to an inch of its life examples with good history not necessarily full Ford but it helps (my present Mondog I spent a year looking for...that was back in 09)

They look good what you have there though I am biast towards the ghia x...lovely well equipped executive cruiser...[emoji2]

Sent from my Z220 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My partner currently has a Volvo S40 - cost me £300 two and half years ago with a superb history and excellent condition.  Since then it has cost a total of £94 in maintenance, notwithstanding the usual annual service and MoT.  I might change it for her soon, and I will be looking for a Mondeo, probably a 1.8 petrol (I hear bad things about the TDCi!!).  I have seen one or two honest and genuine cars for lemonade money (around £500..).  With a good service history, and no rear subframe issues, you get a hell of a lot of car for £500, regardless of the year.  I could get her a Focus, but with the two grandchildren the Mondeo just gives that extra space and I like a bigger, safer car, although in all probability the Focus is just as safe.

I have owned a number of prestige cars (BM, Merc, Volvo, Jag etc) but I would have no reservations in saying that, perhaps with the exception of the XJ6, the Mondeo is probably the best car I have driven.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

XJ6.. One boss looking motor...loads and loads of presence totally smooth at the ton, very very solid one helluva motor...my mate had one a few years back in the 80's...he's a bit of a dark character so seemed to suit him well in his 3quarter leather sports jacket....:)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club