Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm worried. I revered into a car today and am not sure what will happen next. the other guy is considering whehter to claim or just seek payment for me but I am worried what will happen if he does claim ?

Fastlife91

this morning I reversed without looking in my mirrors properly and heard a small thud, I had hit the rear bumper of a Volvo that was driving past but he didn't beep to alert me, regardless I admitted fault and was very polite to the other driver. we swapped details and he said he would claim when he gets back from holiday in 2-3 weeks. I decided to find his address this afternoon and he says he went to a garage and they quoted £250, he said when he gets back from holiday I can just pay him the £250 and we can forget involving the insurers.

His rear bumper had popped out but was able to be popped back in, visible damage may be a few broken bumper clips and maybe a few small scratches to his rear bumper. he has a 2008 Volvo  in a champagne colour.

I will consent to pay him the £250 when he gets back from holiday but I am very worried he will change his mind and contact the insurers anyway, I am 24 and have been driving almost 5 years and have 4 years no claims bonus and I am scared that they will be deducted from my policy if a claim is made.

I am also worried because I have added an additional driver onto my policy years ago and I haven't seen him for years but he is down as driving more miles than me although I am the main driver on the policy, I also have a smartbox in my car so they may ask why it has never been at his address and may void my policy. I plan to remove him from my policy at renewal in Feb.

I am also scared that even if he does not claim I am worried that he may say that the garage require more than £250 but he did say that they quoted £250 today. is this about right for repairing minor rear bumper damage ?  few clips and small scratches

Please help and any advice at all is appreciated

God bless

i don't think you should worry too much, you have no idea what his insurance history is, he might want to avoid involving them for his own reasons, accidents that people are in and not at fault can still cause their premiums to go up the next year, so he might have his own reasons, pay the 250.00 to him, shake hands , thank him and move on.

if he changes his mind or wants more money, then i don't think there is anything you could do and would have to accept what could happen if the insurance companies get involved.

if he does accept the 250, that should be the end of the matter hopefully, my daughters ex boyfriend had a similar accident to you and he paid the guy cash to fix his car and that was that, if he say's he is happy for you to pay then that's your best option, it could cost a lot more involving insurance companies, maybe for both of you.

i don't think having an additional driver on your policy who does more miles will be a problem, your named as the main driver, that's why it say's "main driver".

see what he say's when he gets back off his holidays, all you can do is wait and see.

19 minutes ago, craigie53 said:

i don't think you should worry too much, you have no idea what his insurance history is, he might want to avoid involving them for his own reasons, accidents that people are in and not at fault can still cause their premiums to go up the next year, so he might have his own reasons, pay the 250.00 to him, shake hands , thank him and move on.

if he changes his mind or wants more money, then i don't think there is anything you could do and would have to accept what could happen if the insurance companies get involved.

if he does accept the 250, that should be the end of the matter hopefully, my daughters ex boyfriend had a similar accident to you and he paid the guy cash to fix his car and that was that, if he say's he is happy for you to pay then that's your best option, it could cost a lot more involving insurance companies, maybe for both of you.

i don't think having an additional driver on your policy who does more miles will be a problem, your named as the main driver, that's why it say's "main driver".

see what he say's when he gets back off his holidays, all you can do is wait and see.

Hello, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to reply to me.

I worry to much anyway and fear that until now and the time I next hear from him that I will be constantly worrying about the what if's. to be honest you cannot really see any damage to his bumper but you can see a small scratch and maybe a few broken clips but no dents or bad scratches but regardless I understand it is very unpleasant for somebody to have their car damaged. the bumper had popped out but was easily popped back into place and looks as though nothing happened but if you look closely you may see some little imperfections following said incident  

I am worried about the additional driver on my policy, he is down as covering more miles than myself but I am down as the main driver, he has never drive any of my cars at any time and if they discover this I wonder if they would see it as cause to cancel the policy , and then what would happen ??

I see your point about him maybe not wanting to include his insurer too, hopefully he will stop thinking about involving them.  out of curiousity what could happen if the insurance companies do get involved ?

Last question , how would I pay him the £250 ?  pay him direct and if so would I be best seeking a receipt and should I ask to see garage repair bill ?  or would I be best paying the garage directly instead ?

thanks

an additional driver is just that, it gives permission for someone else to drive your car, it does not mean they have to be driving it all the time, it's just insurance cover if they did drive it.

it's anyone's guess if the insurance companies get involved, you would lose your no claims bonus and see your premium go up, get no claims protection next time on your policy if you avoid going through the insures this time.

250 sounds pretty reasonable to me, he is not asking silly money, pay him cash, i'm not sure about a receipt, see if he offers you one, don't ask for garage receipt or pay the garage directly, if you start asking things like that he could possibly take it the wrong way and decide to go through the insurance company. the accident was your fault so it would be a bad idea to start asking him about costs, you could make it come across that your questioning his honesty.

if he accepts it, give it to him and be glad you got off lightly, how long have you had the smart box on for ? doesn't that record prangs and knocks when they happen.

9 hours ago, craigie53 said:

an additional driver is just that, it gives permission for someone else to drive your car, it does not mean they have to be driving it all the time, it's just insurance cover if they did drive it.

it's anyone's guess if the insurance companies get involved, you would lose your no claims bonus and see your premium go up, get no claims protection next time on your policy if you avoid going through the insures this time.

250 sounds pretty reasonable to me, he is not asking silly money, pay him cash, i'm not sure about a receipt, see if he offers you one, don't ask for garage receipt or pay the garage directly, if you start asking things like that he could possibly take it the wrong way and decide to go through the insurance company. the accident was your fault so it would be a bad idea to start asking him about costs, you could make it come across that your questioning his honesty.

if he accepts it, give it to him and be glad you got off lightly, how long have you had the smart box on for ? doesn't that record prangs and knocks when they happen.

The additional driver has never used the car ,not even once. Yet he is down as driving the most miles. I'm worried if the insurers ever question this and to why have I not removed him from the policy or why have I not lowered the number of miles that is said he has done when he has not used the car, proof that he has not used the car is that the smartbox shows the car is never at his address. the smartbox has been on my car since taking out insurance 4 and a half years ago. I have had 4 cars since and the have had my current car for about 18 months.

If the insurance companies do get involved I will be very angry because he'd gone back on our arrangement and I will turn the tables , I guess I was mostly at fault for not using my mirrors, but as he was driving along how could he not have seen me reversing and surely he should have at least beeped, that way Id have hit the brakes and the situation would not have occurred. I will not under any circumstances admit to blame to the insurers and will d my upmost best to find the other driver guilty of the accident, he was part to blame too.

I will pay him £250 if that is what he wants, he said the garage quoted £250 but I don't want him upping the price for any reason, he has already said £250 now. If I pay him cash what proof do I have that I have paid him anything ? he could take the cash and then still attempt to involve the insurers. he may just treat the £250 as compensation for the hassle and then try to claim anyway.

I thought exactly the same thing as you 100 %, I don't want to provoke him in anyway at all to make him decide to involve the insurance, that is one of my biggest worries about this situation. however just paying him £250 without any kind of receipt would just be foolish .

any ideas ?

Longest title award goes to fastlife91... :wink: 

I'm not sure why the additional driver would get more miles, the main driver should be the one doing the most miles.  However, as long as YOU are the MAIN driver there shouldn't be any issues there at all.

£250 does sound about right, paintshops aren't cheap even for something that appears minor.

Write a receipt for the cash and get him to sign it, that way he can't change his mind and claim as you've got proof of the cash changing hands.

• Like 1

If you're that worried about the additional driver just ring your insurance company and ask them to take him off.   You don't have to wait for renewal.   If you're worried about a receipt for the £250 just give him a cheque.

i really think your worrying too much about the additional driver, did you have him on your insurance too keep the premiums down, that's what people do, my wife is an additional driver on our daughters car, and she never drives it, so stop worrying about it.

i can understand your anger but you were at fault in this, not checking your mirrors properly and checking around you means you were not aware of any coming traffic, it's the same if people walk behind your car when reversing, you have to keep looking all the time, but saying that, insurers look to go 50/50 when no one admits liability.

anyway just be nice to him, ask him politely how he wants to be paid, does he want you to pay the garage direct, give him a cheque or cash with a receipt, there are two way's it could go really, you give him cash without a receipt and if he tries coming back later through the insurance, you can say, not me, never heard of him, the onus is on him to prove it then, or he could come back later with proof that you paid him, if he tries to claim whiplash at a later date or anything else, and say here is the receipt he gave me to fix my car, so it's a catch 22, give him proof or not? it's your decision.

stop getting worried and going through scenarios that have not happened yet, stressing yourself out does not do you any good, it was an accident, they happen, a lot worse happens in some accidents, put it behind you and enjoy driving, just check your mirrors more   :smile:  take it easy and stop stressing about it, lifes too short. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Longest title award goes to fastlife91... :wink: 

I'm not sure why the additional driver would get more miles, the main driver should be the one doing the most miles.  However, as long as YOU are the MAIN driver there shouldn't be any issues there at all.

£250 does sound about right, paintshops aren't cheap even for something that appears minor.

Write a receipt for the cash and get him to sign it, that way he can't change his mind and claim as you've got proof of the cash changing hands.

Well, I added the additional driver to lower my premium as he is much older than me, I put on the policy I drive 4,000 mile per year and that he drives 6000 ( or 8000) but I am the main driver on the policy. this additional driver has never driven my car, I have not even seen him for years. I'm worried the insurer will ask why he is down on the poloicy as driving so many miles.

I will accept paying the £250 to him when he gets back from holiday, I just meant I hope he does not then change his mind and say something like the garage have upped the price or something after he has already told me £250.

I may do that regarding a receipt or I may do him a cheque

6 hours ago, craigie53 said:

i really think your worrying too much about the additional driver, did you have him on your insurance too keep the premiums down, that's what people do, my wife is an additional driver on our daughters car, and she never drives it, so stop worrying about it.

i can understand your anger but you were at fault in this, not checking your mirrors properly and checking around you means you were not aware of any coming traffic, it's the same if people walk behind your car when reversing, you have to keep looking all the time, but saying that, insurers look to go 50/50 when no one admits liability.

anyway just be nice to him, ask him politely how he wants to be paid, does he want you to pay the garage direct, give him a cheque or cash with a receipt, there are two way's it could go really, you give him cash without a receipt and if he tries coming back later through the insurance, you can say, not me, never heard of him, the onus is on him to prove it then, or he could come back later with proof that you paid him, if he tries to claim whiplash at a later date or anything else, and say here is the receipt he gave me to fix my car, so it's a catch 22, give him proof or not? it's your decision.

stop getting worried and going through scenarios that have not happened yet, stressing yourself out does not do you any good, it was an accident, they happen, a lot worse happens in some accidents, put it behind you and enjoy driving, just check your mirrors more   :smile:  take it easy and stop stressing about it, lifes too short. 

I am a worrier, I especially worry when in such situations when I am unsure of the outcome. Yes I added him to reduce my insurance premium but I haven't even seen him for years and he has never driven any of my cars. although I am the main driver they may ask why the additional is still on my policy or why he is down a covering so any miles.

I accept my actions may have caused the accident and I admitted that to the other driver at the scene ( will not admit it if the insurance get involved )  but I do think he should have beeped to alert me and the accident would not have occurred and maybe he should have been looking a bit better himself.

I have been very nice to him , when he contacts me I will ask how he wants the payment to be made, whether I pay the garage directly or pay him and seek a receip0t or something, but as I said, I am being especially nice in order to try not to provoke him to contact the insurers. I get what you mean but I find it hard to trust anybody these days, I think I would want some sort of receipt or something to cover myself in case he takes the money and then denies being given anything and then claims or something. how could he try and fake a whiplash claim though , surely he would need medical evidence suggesting he suffered it ?

Also is there a timescale from an accident in which you can claim ? after how long after an accident do you have to claim ?

I will try not to worry about it , I agree stressing does no good and you are right, life is too short and I should just enjoy my life and take extra caution by using mirrors more in the future.

thanks

10 hours ago, Bobr said:

If you're that worried about the additional driver just ring your insurance company and ask them to take him off.   You don't have to wait for renewal.   If you're worried about a receipt for the £250 just give him a cheque.

I am considering doing that, will they charge me for amending the policy ? also, how would it look having an additional driver on the policy who is down as driving more miles on the poli9cy than the main driver even though the ma9n driver and additional driver have not seen each other for years and the additional has never driven the cars ?

I could give him a cheque but that does not confirm to the insurer or anybody what the cheque was for without a receipt

is this additional driver with driving more miles than you to do with your smart box ? 

have you had to make any claims before in the past on your insurance ?

they usually charge for any amendments to your policy, you need to check your policy to see.

the insurance company are not going to know if you or the other named driver have not seen each other for years are they, i take it you have put his name on every year you renewed your policy to keep your premiums down ? i don't think there is anything to worry about on that, the insurance doesn't force the other named driver to actually drive the car for so many miles, it's just insurance for your named driver if he was actually driving the car and had an accident in it, it doesn't mean he has to drive it.

your best course of action is to pay this guy if he is still happy to accept your 250, he doesn't sound like an unreasonable man, did he have a dash camera in his car when it happened.

the whiplash claim was just an scenario that could play out if the person likes to put outrageous claims in, i probably should not have said that, so don't get wound up about it.

wait till he gets back and take it from there, nothing you can do till then.

9 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

I accept my actions may have caused the accident and I admitted that to the other driver at the scene ( will not admit it if the insurance get involved )  but I do think he should have beeped to alert me and the accident would not have occurred and maybe he should have been looking a bit better himself.

Fastlife Your need to maybe retake your test me thinks or at least read the highway code book a few times. When reversing the duty of care lies with you. The other driver was happily going about his business until you reversed into him. Because you were not paying attention enough.

Why should he have to beep to warn you that he is there ? Its your responsibility to look where your going and give way to on coming traffic.

• Like 3

The miles thing is a maximum - you're saying that you don't expect to exceed that figure.

My only thought is that by stating that your additional driver is driving more miles with a smart box than you, would that be considered fronting?

The fact that you don't see him and he hasn't even seen your car is irrelevant.

By saying he's doing more miles than you is basically the same as saying that he is the primary user.

If you had added him with less mileage than you, then it wouldn't be a problem - because you're then saying that you are the primary user.

3 hours ago, craigie53 said:

is this additional driver with driving more miles than you to do with your smart box ? 

have you had to make any claims before in the past on your insurance ?

they usually charge for any amendments to your policy, you need to check your policy to see.

the insurance company are not going to know if you or the other named driver have not seen each other for years are they, i take it you have put his name on every year you renewed your policy to keep your premiums down ? i don't think there is anything to worry about on that, the insurance doesn't force the other named driver to actually drive the car for so many miles, it's just insurance for your named driver if he was actually driving the car and had an accident in it, it doesn't mean he has to drive it.

your best course of action is to pay this guy if he is still happy to accept your 250, he doesn't sound like an unreasonable man, did he have a dash camera in his car when it happened.

the whiplash claim was just an scenario that could play out if the person likes to put outrageous claims in, i probably should not have said that, so don't get wound up about it.

wait till he gets back and take it from there, nothing you can do till then.

Yes, I added him when I got my first insurance premium in 2011 and it keeps my insurance down by maybe £50 a month. I just asked him If I could add him and he said yes, I didn't tell him that I'd put he drives so many miles in it.

No I have never made any insurance claims before, I have had zero incidents/accidents and I am proud of my driving record hence why I really don't want the insurers getting involved and also the worry of the additional driver on my policy.

The insurance company will not know I have not seen driver b for xx years but they may ask when he last used the car, what he uses it for, why he drives so many miles and then ask why the car is never at his address ( they know because it has a smartbox in it ) They might ask why I didn't put him down as driving 0 - 2000  miles instead of putting something like he drives 10,000 and I drive 4,000 miles.

I will pay him £250 if he requires it and no I do not recall him having any dashcam surveillance in his car at the time.

I can't see if he did make up a whiplash claim ( car was only going 7 mph and his the side of his rear bumper ) how he would get away with it without medical proof.

will do

what i would do is type out some sort of agreement saying you agreed to pay so and so for the work and then you sign and make him sign that way you have evidence you paid him or do a bank transfer then you have evidence without him knowing you have evidence

• Like 1

mark, the insurance shouldn't take any interest about the other driver, you and the insurance company have given him permission to drive your car for certain miles, it makes no difference whether he does or not, it is just insurance if he did drive it, that's all it is, you have done nothing illegal, so please stop worrying about it, i bet there is nothing in your policy saying additional driver has to drive the car so many miles and even use it so many times, if there was my !Removed! would fall through the floor, ken has the right idea in his post.

people use to make false claims for whiplash but they have clamped down on it now, i once saw an accident involving two cars, ambulance was called, saw them treating 3 people  in ambulance when there was only one in the car, told paramedics two of them wasn't in the car so they kicked them out.

This happened to me a matter of months ago, except I was the one who was hit by a careless driver who couldn't be bothered to check their mirrors.

To suggest the other driver is at fault for not beeping is completely idiotic. You even stated you hit him at the rear so you wouldn't of been in his line of sight for him to notice you. I can tell you right now that whether you admit liability to insurance or not it will not matter as reversing into someone is the same as rear ending someone in the eyes of insurance, your insurance will just admit liability on your behalf and pay out to the 3rd party, so you should count yourself lucky if he accepts payment as I decided to go through the insurance simply to make the other driver lose his no claims for having the same disgusting attitude as yourself and trying to shift blame.

• Like 1

Just remember though - you are meant to declare all incidents if you don't want your insurance voided.  So if he does do the dirty and run off with the money, keep your mouth shut and just accept you have been had by the Volvo driver.

Can I suggest that you go to the repairer with him and pay them the money when the job's done? Then you have the chance to get a copy of the receipt and take a photo of the repair.  And because he'll then be in the same situation as you regarding not declaring the incident, you'll have next to no chance of any comeback :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think you're worrying a bit too much, but it is a point of concern from an insurers point of view that you're the main driver who does less miles, and your named is down as doing more but is named. 

By default wouldn't that make him the main driver? 

I hate to break it to you too, but try and get some sort of evidence of you paying him for repair. It won't count for much, as you legally agree to tell your insurers everything, even a scratch, when you take the policy. But my other halves dad hit a Ka at 2mph (thought it had pulled away at roundabout, looked right to see if still clear and rolled into it), exchanged cash to fix the non existent damage, and then a claim comes in including whiplash. 

My advice is don't worry, there's nothing you can do about it so worrying is just a waste of time. Best of luck mate