Do Not Sell My Personal Information

need help on installing dashcam Focus MK2.5

shiwarrior

I had a mini 0806 and I wired this through the fuse box, into a fuse loop wire that stoney made for me, using "Fuse 100"

now I've ditched the mini 0806 and replaced with a thinkware F770, so far so good, but parking/continuous mode does not work (I need this feature)

so , question is, do I really need to "hardwire" in ? or is plug and play still the same thing: on the Focus as the cig lighter and the one under the arm rest stay active?

I am very confused and need some guidance

thanks

If you want a permanent supply then you need to swap the tap to something like the 12v socket supply instead.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Congratulations on getting rid of the 0806 though. They're absolutely rubbish.

Thanks Gary, reviews were all good, hence why I bought one in the first place, image quality is rather good though, and they are small and discreet

I cant get the mount off though the screen though !

Stoney, not sure what you mean ? would just plugging it into the cig lighter under the arm rest do it ?

Image quality is great, but the build quality is shocking.

You can get the mount off by sawing it off with dental floss. Just hook the floss round the mount, go slowly and saw into the sticky pad. Then use alcohol based cleaner or alcohol cleaning wipes to get the residue off.

cheers Gary, I did ask the Garage (was getting an MOT done) and he said, ill crack the windscreen if I try and get it off !

the hardware kit isn't anything special but it does need two things, firstly the correct plug and secondly the ACC and always on power connected to the correct terminals, the cost is a lot more then its really worth but your paying for the convenience of having someone make it for you.

oh an congrats on the 770, its identical to the 750 in everyway which means its very good quality, parking mode is a big plus. just watch out for a rattle on the videos it records, turns out some early samples of the 770 had a slight flaw which allowed the buttons to vibrate which becomes audible in the recordings, if you have the rattle they will replace / fix it for you send it back

Getting it off the way I said won't crack the screen! No great pressure is applied. I've done it myself. If you do it whilst the screen is warm in the sun, it's even easier!

cheers Gary and Dee

So how do I go about getting the parking mode available with plug and play? or do I have to get the hard wire kit?

you will need a hardwire kit, there is nothing special about it, you could make your own, but when buying one you have a lot less hassle and that's what you are paying for

nothing special ?

What's the big black thing on one of the the wires for?

Been doing more research and it looks like I cant use the "plug and play" lead, and I have to purchase the hardwire kit, because it has an extra wire

Black = ground

Red = continuous voltage

Yellow = switched voltage

so..

Black to chassis

Red to ?

Yellow to ?

if im right so far, then ill do some more research and check Lennys guides too

Red to permanent live supply on fuseboard (lighter socket fuse 109) and yellow to switched (ignition) supply on fuseboard (rear wiper fuse 131).

ah cool, cheers Stoney !

so one more thing, strip red wire and should I put another fuse in-line then wrap it around the fuse ? (same for the switched fuse)

or is there a better way of doing it ?

so close to getting this done now, going to have to order my hardwire kit now !

thanks again

Before I order my new stuff, can I just make sure this is all correct please ?

1) Hardwire Kit -

http://thinkwaredashcam.uk/product/hardwiring-cable/

2) inline fuses for red and yellow wires

will either these do ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Blade-Fuse-Add-a-Circuit-Piggy-Back-Holder-Free-Fuse-And-Postage-/251927211852?var=&hash=item3aa8082f4c:m:m4vLCDC6t6Fpc1lxragVcsQ

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291478291706?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

any difference ? is one safer than the other one ?

Join fuse holders to hardwire kit (5A Rating on each one), then at the other end, locate fuse box, and then install as Stoney said

Red to F109

Yellow to 131

Does it matter witch side of the fuse to link it to ? (if using the in-line fuse)

then that's it ? parking mode will now work

Thanks again all :)

i hope you dont mind me asking a question

when you use one of these hard wire kits is the camera on all the time ? or does it sense movement then switch on ?

and where can i get a kit that has mini usb ? ive only seen micro usb ones

im not quite sure how it works, but it does not come on with movement

because your hardwireing it in for use in parking mode, you have an always on power and a switch off with ignition.

so when you switch the ignition on, more power goes to the camera, when you switch the ignition off, less power goes to it, and it records only how you tell it to, either by " Shock", "movement" or continuous (time lapse)

5 minutes ago, shiwarrior said:

im not quite sure how it works, but it does not come on with movement

because your hardwireing it in for use in parking mode, you have an always on power and a switch off with ignition.

so when you switch the ignition on, more power goes to the camera, when you switch the ignition off, less power goes to it, and it records only how you tell it to, either by " Shock", "movement" or continuous (time lapse)

ok cheers

Ok, that's not correct mate.

The "big black thing" is an inline fuse, you do not need to put a fuse on the yellow wire.

The way it works is this, the red always on wire powers the camera, 24/7, when you stop the car and remove the key the acc power is turned off, the camera detects this and swtiches to parking mode, it doesn't use that power on the acc yellow wire for anything, its not connected to anything sensitive, it merely detects a voltage drop off then actions the parking mode. the red wire which is used to power the cameras delicate electronics needs the fuse.

Parking mode can work in a number of ways, whilst the camera is in parking mode it keeps an eye on the voltage and will cut off the power at a predefined level or period of time, this is done to stop your battery being run down. The camera should easily last a night, and will problem last two nights if you don't drive the car anywhere, if you want it to last longer then you will have some issues.

Parking mode can use,

Event detection - vibrations, loud noises, impacts  (10 seconds either side of the event)

Motion detection-  Records when something happens within the field of view (what this actually means is that the camera buffers a small segment of video, if it detects motion it dumps the 10 seconds before the motion and the 10 seconds after)

Timelaps - this is a new mode on the F770 (or modified F750) this reduces the frames per second to enable a lot more video to be recorded at no additional cost in stoage or power, it will play back as a normal video only it will appear to be much faster, you can pause it and still read number plates. 

20 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

Ok, that's not correct mate.

The "big black thing" is an inline fuse, you do not need to put a fuse on the yellow wire.

The way it works is this, the red always on wire powers the camera, 24/7, when you stop the car and remove the key the acc power is turned off, the camera detects this and swtiches to parking mode, it doesn't use that power on the acc yellow wire for anything, its not connected to anything sensitive, it merely detects a voltage drop off then actions the parking mode. the red wire which is used to power the cameras delicate electronics needs the fuse.

Parking mode can work in a number of ways, whilst the camera is in parking mode it keeps an eye on the voltage and will cut off the power at a predefined level or period of time, this is done to stop your battery being run down. The camera should easily last a night, and will problem last two nights if you don't drive the car anywhere, if you want it to last longer then you will have some issues.

Parking mode can use,

Event detection - vibrations, loud noises, impacts  (10 seconds either side of the event)

Motion detection-  Records when something happens within the field of view (what this actually means is that the camera buffers a small segment of video, if it detects motion it dumps the 10 seconds before the motion and the 10 seconds after)

Timelaps - this is a new mode on the F770 (or modified F750) this reduces the frames per second to enable a lot more video to be recorded at no additional cost in stoage or power, it will play back as a normal video only it will appear to be much faster, you can pause it and still read number plates. 

sounds good.so with the live when car switched of will that keep the battery in the camera charged ?

also do you know where i can buy a kit that supports mini USB cant find one any where

2 seconds, what camera do you have?

parking mode is a feature of the camera, the F770 /F750 camera, most Chinese cameras do not have a true parking mode, they might have a GPS based one that starts when the camera is running but there tend to be less useful, less accurate and more power hungry.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, shiwarrior said:

Before I order my new stuff, can I just make sure this is all correct please ?

1) Hardwire Kit -

http://thinkwaredashcam.uk/product/hardwiring-cable/

2) inline fuses for red and yellow wires

will either these do ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Blade-Fuse-Add-a-Circuit-Piggy-Back-Holder-Free-Fuse-And-Postage-/251927211852?var=&hash=item3aa8082f4c:m:m4vLCDC6t6Fpc1lxragVcsQ

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291478291706?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

any difference ? is one safer than the other one ?

Join fuse holders to hardwire kit (5A Rating on each one), then at the other end, locate fuse box, and then install as Stoney said

Red to F109

Yellow to 131

Does it matter witch side of the fuse to link it to ? (if using the in-line fuse)

then that's it ? parking mode will now work

Thanks again all :)

so guys, is this right ?

need to order all the stuff :)

Thanks kindly

• 2 weeks later...

update, installed it and parking mode wasn't working, so I tried adjusting setting, still didn't work

then I found out that Thinkware have their hardwire cables the wrong way around

Yellow to F109

Red to F131

now it works perfectly

• Like 1