Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chugging noise & smoke coming from air box

cundall

Hello, Can someone help me with a problem, I have a Ford Fiesta 1.4 Diesel TDCI (54 plate), and the car has a chugging noise and there is smoke coming from under the air box, does anybody have an idea what may be the problem ? 

Thank you for your help !

sounds like one or more injector seals leaking, letting combustion gases leak out , nasty smell from smoke?

Injector seals - parts are cheap, just a bit of a faff as the inlet manifold needs to come off to get to them - worth taking the time and doing it properly once though.

• Like 1

yes there is a bad smell, is it a job i could tackle with minimal tools or is it a job for the garage ? 

5 hours ago, cundall said:

yes there is a bad smell, is it a job i could tackle with minimal tools or is it a job for the garage ? 

Check here for the guide, its a common issue, its slightly fiddly but if you do it yourself you can ensure that the seals are correctly seated to avoid the issue in the future.

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/193805-how-to-change-injector-copper-seals-on-a-fiesta-14-tdci-with-pics/

i took the air box off and had a look and these were the pictures......

one of the pictures is the air box flipped upside down so you can see where the leak is.

20160921_170644.jpg

20160921_170921.jpg

20160921_170635.jpg

also when i removed the air-box there was smoke coming from the bolt hole as circled in red in the picture, should that be happening ?

1.jpg

What a mess! Looks like 1 injector seal has gone, wit regards to the other issue, mine has that hole there, its the cam cover but mine doesn't smoke at all from there - perhaps take off the breather hose and check its not clogged.

3 hours ago, cundall said:

Is it easy to get to the breather hose ?

Its attached to the cam cover - big hose going from the engine into the pipework before the turbo, easy to spot and just pulls off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club