Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Passed a red for turn right

Ken.K

Hello all,

I was meant to turn right got to the traffic light it was green but did not occur to be that the turn right signal was red and the straight on was green i went past and turned right. No flash would there be a camera

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Digital cameras don't need to flash so if there was a camera you might receive a nice letter in the post!

Digital cameras don't need to flash so if there was a camera you might receive a nice letter in the post!

Just a fine or with points?

6 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

Just a fine or with points?

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately) I've never been captured by a traffic light camera so couldn't say what you get when/if caught but I'm sure some one 'in the know' will confirm the procedure shortly.

update: just been informed by sons fiancé that her brother received a fine AND points (3) on his licence.  Not sure if there will be a difference between the procedure between Scotland - England.

Edited by Russ
Added to the post

Traffic light cameras do my head in. The urge to brake sharply (and dangerously) when there is one there is overwhelming. That or crawl up to the lights at well below the speed limit. Lights always seem to want to change on me when they have a yellow piggy bank next to them.

• Like 1

Traffic light cameras do my head in. The urge to brake sharply (and dangerously) when there is one there is overwhelming. That or crawl up to the lights at well below the speed limit. Lights always seem to want to change on me when they have a yellow piggy bank next to them.

How long does it take to get a penalty notice in the post cos now this will give me sleepless nights.

1 minute ago, Ken.K said:

How long does it take to get a penalty notice in the post cos now this will give me sleepless nights.

I understand that penalty notices have to be served within 2 weeks. So allow a few days more than that for postal delays, I'd say.

I understand that penalty notices have to be served within 2 weeks. So allow a few days more than that for postal delays, I'd say.

Damn it so 3 weeks. 😢😢😢

• 3 weeks later...

It has been 3 weeks and a day today and no letters yet in the post. If the letter does come is ut invalid

• Like 1

On 20/09/2016 at 11:41 PM, GaryPL said:

This myth needs putting to bed, all they have to do is issue the NIP within 14 days of the offence, it does not have to reach you within that amount of days, in fact it might not reach you at all knowing royal fail, but as long as it has been issued by the force within 14 days it is valid.

13 hours ago, Ken.K said:

It has been 3 weeks and a day today and no letters yet in the post. If the letter does come is ut invalid

No see my post above, it only has to be issued within 14 days, whether you receive it or not is irrelevant.

Chances are you probably wont get one, did you even check if the lights have a signal camera on them?

Some lights have a traffic signal camera, some have a speed camera and traffic signal camera, but not every set of lights do have them.

Ken,

If your name and address are correct on your V5C Registration Certificate then you are in the clear. If they are not, then you not clear as the notification will go to the V5C current address.

ScaniaPBman

Ken,

If your name and address are correct on your V5C Registration Certificate then you are in the clear. If they are not, then you not clear as the notification will go to the V5C current address.

ScaniaPBman

Of course my name and address are correct on the V5C. I know this cos I have received a parking fine once. But surely if it was issued within 14 days I should have had it by now.

33 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

But surely if it was issued within 14 days I should have had it by now.

I would've thought so.

1 hour ago, Ken.K said:

Of course my name and address are correct on the V5C. I know this cos I have received a parking fine once. But surely if it was issued within 14 days I should have had it by now.

Agreed, but if it was issued but not delivered for some reason (Royal Mail failure...) then you are still liable, is what Simon was alluding to.

Agreed, but if it was issued but not delivered for some reason (Royal Mail failure...) then you are still liable, is what Simon was alluding to.

How am I still liable for a crime I was not notified of and even did not have a chance to appeal etc. So what you saying is that if I did not get a letter with the 100 quid fine I could then receive another one for 1000 pounds or a court order. Just cos I did get the first one.

1 hour ago, Ken.K said:

How am I still liable for a crime I was notified of and even did not have a chance to appeal etc. So what you saying is that if I did not get a letter with the 100 quid fine I could then receive another one for 1000 pounds or a court order. Just cos I did get the first one.

As far as I'm aware - yes.  Because how are they meant to know you didn't receive the first letter (if indeed there was one)?  Obviously you could then appeal and state that you didn't receive the first letter, probably succeeding in getting it downgraded to the original fine.

8 hours ago, simcor said:

This myth needs putting to bed, all they have to do is issue the NIP within 14 days of the offence, it does not have to reach you within that amount of days, in fact it might not reach you at all knowing royal fail, but as long as it has been issued by the force within 14 days it is valid.

You've sought to correct me why? I haven't pedalled any myth. You essentially just agreed with me when I said "allow a few days for postal delays".

It is correct to say that he should be ok if he hasn't heard anything after 2 weeks plus a few days.

1 hour ago, GaryPL said:

You've sought to correct me why? I haven't pedalled any myth. You essentially just agreed with me when I said "allow a few days for postal delays".

It is correct to say that he should be ok if he hasn't heard anything after 2 weeks plus a few days.

It was just a reply to the myth that people often pedal around about it has to be received within 14 days. Wasn't aimed at you personally.

As I and others have pointed out they merely have to issue it within 14 days of the offence, it does not have to arrive on your doorstep within the 14 days or even at all as long as it was issues then it's valid. The police have 6 months I believe to take any action regarding a NIP.

• Like 1

The 14 day rule relates only to the period of time in which the Police/Process Unit must serve the original Notice.

The Police do not have to prove that the Notice reached its intended recipient within 14 days, merely that they believe that it arrived, but there may be a defence available if the intended recipient can convince a Court that the notice did not arrive in time or at all.

• Like 1

Hello Stone I have seen that cos you shared earlier when I asked the question. Cheers again. I guess I just have to wait and see. Only cameras I saw was a CCTV camera

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

The 14 day rule relates only to the period of time in which the Police/Process Unit must serve the original Notice.

The Police do not have to prove that the Notice reached its intended recipient within 14 days, merely that they believe that it arrived, but there may be a defence available if the intended recipient can convince a Court that the notice did not arrive in time or at all.

It would prove difficult to prove you had not received the NIP though, and what are the chances of convincing a court it did not arrive. That whole issue would not exist if NIP's were sent recorded delivery as someone would have to sign for it therefore proof it was delivered. But I guess it comes down to cost and extra effort and time.

Not even a dig at the police or whoever, but so many authorities etc insist on recorded delivery when we send them mail that is important, yet important documents sent by them are sent in normal mail.

Oh well just the way it is I guess.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club