Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Battery ground question

jmurray01

I'm in the process of determining what the problem is with the GTX in terms of its poor/no starting due to slow cranking, even with a fully charged battery

I suspect (or hope!) it is just one of the negative grounds somewhere that is corroded and needs cleaned, but I can only find one and the trying to find the other one has initially proved unsuccessful.  A thought came to me today though, that in order to test if the grounding is the problem or not, I could just run a jump lead from the negative terminal to a ground point (with the terminal connected of course), and that would then ground the battery if the original ground is ineffective. 

Am I right in thinking that?  If so, that would quickly tell me if it is a problem with groundings or not, and if it makes no difference then I'll know it is something more serious such as the starter motor or a seized pulley etc...

4 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I could just run a jump lead from the negative terminal to a ground point

Sounds right to me. A good, heavy, copper jump lead would help. Possibly to one of the bellhousing bolts, or some substantial & clean bit of casting there. Take great care not to short it to the +ve at any time though!

I had slow cranking & sometimes fail to crank, it was the solenoid on the starter motor. I could hear it click, but it made bad or no connection to the motor.

I did a temporary fix twice by removing the solenoid, and giving it a good clean: Got it going for a while, and proved the point.

Eventually I managed to source a replacement solenoid for about £22, but it took a lot of hunting.

20 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Sounds right to me. A good, heavy, copper jump lead would help. Possibly to one of the bellhousing bolts, or some substantial & clean bit of casting there. Take great care not to short it to the +ve at any time though!

I had slow cranking & sometimes fail to crank, it was the solenoid on the starter motor. I could hear it click, but it made bad or no connection to the motor.

I did a temporary fix twice by removing the solenoid, and giving it a good clean: Got it going for a while, and proved the point.

Eventually I managed to source a replacement solenoid for about £22, but it took a lot of hunting.

Thanks Peter, I'll bear that in mind.  It's a toss up between that, the alternator or the P/S pump being seized.  I looked at the starter today and it actually looks fairly new, like it has been replaced in the last few years, perhaps as an attempt to fix the issue. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club