Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replace coil on mk1

v530anh

The old coil may be the original as it is fomoco, I got a new Bosch coil. I believe it is every 100 000 miles, though I am leaving it late at 118 500 miles for the service change.

But torx screwdrivers have no grip vertically, but horizontally that is a different story. I only managed to remove one screw and rounded one at the back.

I just used tie ins to put the new coil on on top of the oil coil, it seems well fitted.

So only 2 questions:

Which is the best tool to remove torx screws at a difficult position and how to remove the rounded torx screw.

Also the new coil  is idle at 1000 rpm, not 900 rpm as with the old coil. But when car heats up it idles at 900 rpm. Is this normal, though the new coil seems to make the car accelerate more at different gears.

On 9/23/2016 at 8:31 AM, v530anh said:

Also the new coil  is idle at 1000 rpm, not 900 rpm as with the old coil. But when car heats up it idles at 900 rpm. Is this normal, though the new coil seems to make the car accelerate more at different gears.

Wouldn't worry about this too much, sounds as if this is fixing a worn Coil. 

Best way is to have a adjustable ratchet socket with a torx adaptor, if you've rounded it off, try a bigger one instead. Worstcase just get a big screwdriver (flat head) and hammer it into the bolt to make your own "leverage". If you have replacements you could drill it out but there's likely easier ways!

• Like 1

I rounded another rear screw with a 18V drill, even on full power the drill was not turning, don't like torx. I would have to drill it out....